Having a new Lightning Fest

DelValLO is having their annual Spookfest in October and many Guys are coming from across the country to attend.

I think we need to do dual L-fests next spring. One central east coast and one central west coast. Hopefully my truck will be done and running by then.

I don't say it to be smart but to make a point. I don't think 98% of the guys here know how hard it is to plan an event like this, front the money, then hope enough guys show up to get YOUR money back.

Just to put it out there to rent a place like Atco raceway for a Saturday (which we can't afford) is about $20,000. That's why we do Fridays.

I don't say it to be smart but to make a point. I don't think 98% of the guys here know how hard it is to plan an event like this, front the money, then hope enough guys show up to get YOUR money back.

Just to put it out there to rent a place like Atco raceway for a Saturday (which we can't afford) is about $20,000. That's why we do Fridays.

I've been involved in planning other events smaller then this would be and it's a nightmare! There is so much that goes into this that meets the eye I don't know why anyone would take on something like this without any serious backing and organization.

Be cheaper to rent a small local 1/8 mile track.But still getting people to show up would be to hard.
Maybe you could get the money up front for track rental.

Why should it be so hard or expensive? Have a gathering at a public park with BBQ(catered or volunteer). Next day run the local track test and tune. Work a deal to have a special class or classes for the trucks. Pay entry fees only. It does not have to be a completely private event. A backup race day would be ideal if weather gets bad.

I have been to three Lightningfests and the gatherings at the NMRA races as well. I would love to travel and meet some others from around the country.

Last edited:
Im having a shootout in ky 2015 last weekend in april.
Lightnings vs 454ss vs Dakota rt

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

I've been involved in planning other events smaller then this would be and it's a nightmare! There is so much that goes into this that meets the eye I don't know why anyone would take on something like this without any serious backing and organization.

It's only as difficult as you make it. The last time I checked our track here rented for $2500/day. The biggest trick was finding an opening on the calendar.

Why should it be so hard or expensive? Have a gathering at a public park with BBQ(catered or volunteer). Next day run the local track test and tune. Work a deal to have a special class or classes for the trucks. Pay entry fees only. It does not have to be a completely private event. A backup race day would be ideal if weather gets bad.

I have been to three Lightningfests and the gatherings at the NMRA races as well. I would love to travel and meet some others from around the country.

^^^This is how you do it and how I did it for several years even before L-Fest started. We have a drag strip and road track here and we picked weekends when they both had events running anyway. We had a really good run despite the efforts of some to undermine our efforts. I think we usually got about 50 trucks from 5 or 6 states here. If the NLOC boss at the time would have helped instead of hindered things it really could have been a great event. The local dragstrip let us run our program in the middle of TnT and did all they could to help out. It was still a lot of work, but it was far from overwhelming and didn't cost much of anything.

You guys are lucky, our track never has TNT on weekends. There are too many events booked. We would have to do a Friday night and then deal with all the ricers crapping the track up.

Our normal track rental is for Monday-Friday daytime and is $3,000 for up to 15 vehicles. Then $200 a vehicle after that. Sometimes you can get a better deal if you have large numbers guaranteed or if you do it in the middle of the hot summer.

TnT is all we have/had on weekends once the season is over. We usually had our event the first weekend after the racing season was over. The track was still in great shape from the season and TnT ran on Saturday afternoons. The track has changed owners twice since then and I haven't been out there in probably 4 years, so I'm not sure we would get the same deal now.

Back