Have general f-150/bronco questions

I6tq

This probably isnt the ideal place to ask this but I figured many of you would know the answer....and I would really appreciate your assistance.

I have a 95 f-150 2wd with the straight six, efi. The straight six went to hell in a hand basket a while after only 100K gentle miles.

I have access to an 85 bronco 4x4, allegedly has a rebuilt 351w w/t c6, carb'd. I can get all this for what Id consider a heck of a deal, so it give me big ideas.

And questions:

1) I know Ill need v8 frame mounts to make the swap, would it be fair to say, I could remove the frame mounts from the bronco, and they would attach to the f-150 frame?

2) I plan to keep the M5OD transmission. I know its not ideal, but this truck will only be a driver, no towing, no racing. My question, does the 351w crank, come drilled for a pilot bearing, so I can simply install one, and add a 5.8 flywheel, and Im good to go? (I know the tranny bolt patterns are the same, and that the 4.9 and v8's use a different flywheel imbalance)

3) Ive read on here, where people have swapped a bronco fuel tank into their lightning, Id imagine the f-150 swap would be similar, and I was wondering what is involved? My main question involved the physical, like attaching to the truck vs bronco frame, and how the filler tube aligned etc.. I also realize this would move the spare tire to the bed.

Thanks fellas. If this has to be moved or completely removed, I understand.

Last edited:
Would you be keeping it carb'ed? The bronco tank you have may not have a fuel pump in it like the newer ones and if it did, it probably wouldn't work with fuel injection. The swap should be pretty basic. It should mount the same as the stocker, but you would need the bronco straps. The tank is much larger that stock obviously, so it hangs down quite a bit more. I believe it was 8". Here is a pic of a 95

20121106_1224281854219631.jpg

The crank should be fine for a pilot bushing. And yes, you would need a different balance flywheel.

1) Yes the frame mounts should swap over.

2) Crank is pre drilled for pilot bushing. U need correct flywheel n balancer for the V8. Is ur trk already a stick?

3) unless your tank is bad why swap um. If you stay carb u can just eliminate the pump in the tank by using a non efi pick up.

Since u have a six now be sure to get all cables brackets etc from the donor so u avoid issues with linkage and accessories when it comes to hook up n mounting.

If possible bring the entire donor trk to you so u can get all the lil pcs when the ah shiats come up.

Last edited:
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Probably.
But this is a BAD idea. Swapping to a significantly-older engine always is. Especially going EFI-to-carb. The I6 is legendarily reliable, so I highly recommend finding a good used one, and dropping it right in with NO mods. I put a junkyard '95 4.9L into my '83 300ci Bronco 15 years ago, and it now has OVER half a million miles on it. It's still running strong enough that I'm swapping into another chassis so I can keep abusing it.

madramper

Correct, Ill keep it carb'd for now. Appreciate your input

SA94Lightning

Yes, Ill be buying the whole bronco.

Steve83

You make good points. But Ill be able to purchase the entire bronco for less than a take out engine, and Im hoping I could recoupe some monies either by junking the bronco or parting it out.

All n all it shouldn't be a major deal to swap it. I would toss the m5od n run either the c6 which would suck on gas or an early aod not an aode that way no need for electronics. Carbd with aod.
Good luck with it either way

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Probably.
But this is a BAD idea. Swapping to a significantly-older engine always is. Especially going EFI-to-carb. The I6 is legendarily reliable, so I highly recommend finding a good used one, and dropping it right in with NO mods. I put a junkyard '95 4.9L into my '83 300ci Bronco 15 years ago, and it now has OVER half a million miles on it. It's still running strong enough that I'm swapping into another chassis so I can keep abusing it.

This^^^
What exactly went wrong with your I6? The Ford I6 has a reputation for being one of the longest running dependable engines out there. Especially under dd duties.
Maybe re-group and just fix the prob

you're going to go through a lot of headache, for NO gain!

the '85 351W was rated at 150 hp, 280 ft/lbs of torque

the '95 300 was rated at 150 hp, 260 ft/lbs of torque

so even if that 351W was rebuilt to good as new, you're getting the exact same horsepower as your str8 six, only thing you're gaining is the v8 sound, and 20 ft/lbs of torque.

but you're truck will weigh more, and will no longer be EFI, meaning harder colder starts, MUCH worse fuel economy with that carb'd 351 over your EFI 300, and losing everything else EFI gives you.

I would seriously replace the 300 six with another one. Well I wouldn't, I'd probably drop in a 393 stroker with a blower LMAO. Then again, I've always wanted to have a turbo 300 str8 six in a rcsb 92-96 F-150...

Really, replace the 300 with another one! yours may have just had a horrible history, but like Ed said, the Ford 300 str8 six is one of the longest running engines on the road! Frequently lovingly nicknamed, "The Poor Man's Diesel".

and you wouldn't have to change your screen name

As my username suggests, Im no stranger to the ford I6.

Let me put things into perspective, see if everyone still feels the same. I actually dig the I6 enthusiasm but lets put a spin on things:

running 351w, idles smooth, no weird noises or smoke or milkshake in the oil, pulls like a stock engine
c6 transmission shifts so smooth its ridiculous (supposedly a fresh reman from one of the franchise stores)
4wd transfer case works
electric choke edelbrock carb (truck allegedly sat for a year not being started, tall grass grown around it would suggest that to be true, and third party input would also validate that, and yet, when we put a new battery on it, it fired right up after a couple cranks.)
long tube headers
new tires (visually they shown no dry rot or unusual wear)
9" rear end (didnt make any strange noises when I drove the truck)
very much reusable dual exhaust with magnaflow mufflers
clean title

Would you pass all that up for $375

Last edited:
I wouldn't even NOTICE it as I passed it. You can get a decent used 4.9L for a few bucks more, have it installed & running sooner, for FAR less extra cost, with no future headaches, less future maintenance, and lower operating cost.

If its a daily driver Id stick with the six. If its a hot rod/ weekend toy go with the windsor but without a few choice upgrades its not going to be all that quick. Where are you from? I have 2 300/6s id part with both in trucks and can here them run. One a 92 the other a 94.

Keep the I-6 (4.9L)!

As Ed mentioned, one of the best engines Ford has ever produced. My favorite truck, was my '95 F150 XL - TX/OK pkg., longbed w/dual tanks, 4.9L and 5 spd transmission.

Rebuild the 4.9L with some beefed up parts, install a new clutch, an electric fan, a Magnaflow mid-pipe and cat-back, 3.55 gears, a K&N FIPK, and bump the timing. Then, take it for a drive and enjoy the torque.

Can you define "went to hell in a hand basket" a little more clearly? Did it just quit going down the road? The 4.9 is infamous for the timing gears coming apart between 80k and 120k or living forever. Mine were still good at 300k, but I replaced them with steel gears anyway so I could sleep when we were travelling. It's got over 400k on it now and I would still drive it anywhere.

You will be time and money ahead to either fix the engine you have or get a new one if you have actually managed to blow it up.

Don't buy ANYTHING from Clifford. They are an overpriced joke.

A turbo 300 would be nice for about 20 minutes before the block split in half. They will run forever in stock or near stock trim, but if you plan on making more than about 425 ft-lbs at the wheels with one you better dig up an SVO block to start your build from.

Its your truck so do as you wish. Since the bronco is so cheap I would do the swap my self. You can sell the trans and transfer case for what your buying the truck for. Then the rest is free. Yes HP for HP they are the same but obviously the 351 has lots of room to grow.

Maybe I'm biased because I did this swap myself and loved doing it. I bought a wrecked lightning and swaped it into a 6cyl truck. After my truck ate 3 of those wonderful 300's I was done with them. (Two were before I owned it so I don't know what happened). You can always find a later model efi truck and get the efi and swap that later to.

You can always find a later model efi truck and get the efi and swap that later to.

I actually have a 95 bronco that I just pulled apart. I have the complete wire harness, computer, intake etc. if you are interested in keeping efi ;)

Well, I think I would buy the Bronco for $375, turn around and sell it for $600, then buy another I6, drop it in, grab a cold one and call it a day.

I appreciate everyones responses but I have no loyalty to the 4.9 EFI engine.
Ive done all the modifications mentioned here and then some. The limitations of the stock efi system, make it a one trick pony.

I came across this bronco. I pulled a valve cover the other day and it was clean, so maybe it was bored 30 as PO suggested and everything but the valve seals were replaced...it idles smooth and shows oil pressure and doesnt overheat. Power is what you would expect from an engine of this vintage, when it was new.

But as some suggested, I put this truck up for sale the evening after I purchased it, with a profit margin, Im giving it another month to sale, if it doesnt, Ill junk the title and get on with things.

Like I said earlier, I can totally appreciate the I6 enthusiasm, totally unexpected. :D Im familiar with the 351w's too, so I know its limitations as well in stock form and have reasonable expectations, in regards to power and service life. I did ask some basic questions here, but I havent dealt with anything automotive in a very long time....I needed the assurance that what I thought I knew, was right...and I appreciate the help given here.

Last edited:
Back