Has broken a stock or cast 351 style crank? Especially with belt driven blower...

kbcobra

Trying to decide if it's worth looking for a forged 3.5" crank. Have used balanced assembly I picked up - Probe 2618 -22 cc 351 pistons 0.060" over, stock length H-beam rods and stock crank, also have a good Romac 28 oz balancer and flexplate

"Whatever" would be going into a SVO A-351 Sportsman block, 3" mains, 2 bolt/stud main caps. 28oz imbalance on the stock crank assembly. Would like low 12's out of truck at least. Reliable on street but take a beating if I decide I want more.

Gamble with stock crank or go forged on belt driven blower? Any war stories?

If it was me,.....and I was going to "buy" a crank,....I'd at least buy one with a 4.00" stroke,....especially if it's going in an aftermarket Sportsman block. No need in limiting yourself.

NOW,...
If you're using your stock block,.....your original cast crank will take you a long, long way.

Stock is nodular

And yes i wouldnt do stock or cast in a aftermarket block

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Agree with Keith, if you're buying, go big on cubic inches. Not necessary to run low 12s though, the stock stuff will work for that.

Well, its a 2-bolt block. Even with it being a Sportsman, in my opinion a cast 351W crank will survive the trip into the oil pan when the mains come off the bottom of the block...

I definitely agree with upping the stroke if you have to buy a crank!

You can go a long way on the stock 351W hardware; a piston is going to be the first thing to give up. I'm running a cast crank in mine with good Eagle H-beams and CP pistons. I went mid 11s supercharged on stock hardware, and 10.80s turbocharged with the upgraded rotating assembly (so no pulley load). Studded stock block with a girdle, and the mains are definitely fretting at that power level.

DSCF0033.JPG

This was a bad day!

I broke one of my main bolt bosses off also with the stock crank. It kept running cause the journal kept pressure on the bearing and threads which kept the torque. Took it apart because I burnt a piston. Didn't do damage to the rest of the block like Michael did

If I know Michael lots of nitrous! He is also the only guy I’ve seen twist the spline on stock axles.

Back