Grumpy_Bob asks: Do I really need mass air?

FMOS Racing

PSI=:-D
I Support the NLOC
Grumpy_Bob asked:
If my goal is a street Gen1 with a mild turbo (well, mild compared to the rest of you), can I keep my '93 speed density setup, or do I absolutely HAVE to upgrade to either a later MAF setup or a complete aftermarket controls system?

I know somebody on here was talking about staying SD, but I thought there was some serious concern about it.

Has there been a consensus agreement on it yet?

-edit- Oops, I suppose I should've made this a separate thread? Delete it if that makes more sense and maybe start a specific thread relating to engine controls issues...

Well, I think that you can get an adequate (adequate meaning low risk of leaving parts on the pavement somewhere) tune with the stock SD setup, but you can't get a perfect tune. The real problem lies in the way the turbo makes boost at low throttle angles but high loads. Kind of confuses the EEC.

Lock the timing and use a boost retard, along with a properly calibrated FMU (I'd sure recommend a Super FMU) and I think you can get something passable.

I keep hoping Steve Stock will give this a whirl since he's pretty much the SD tuning champion among us.

Back