1-1289-25593.jpg

1-1289-25592.jpg

1-1289-25589.jpg

1-1289-25588.jpg

1-1289-25591.jpg

Vehicle stats:
  • 1975 Melex golf cart chassis
  • All steel body and frame
  • Manufactured by PZL-MIELEC (the largest Polish aircraft manufacturer)
  • Original power was 6-12 volt batteries
  • Current power is 500cc, liquid cooled, 85hp snowmobile engine
  • Differential ratio 6:1
  • Front tires 16" "skinnies"
  • Rear tires 18" grass slicks with a 3" offset (to enhance stability)
  • 5-spoke chrome hub caps
  • Interior includes Baha racing seat and 2 beer can holders
  • Fuel cell is a 5 quart go-cart aluminum racing tank
  • Radiator overflow catch container is Dortmunder "mini-keg"
  • Top speed 45-50mph (estimated)

Mods in progress:
  • Roll cage
  • Install 5-point harness
  • Electric start
  • Add reverse?!

Interview of Owner:
Interviewer is NP (Nosy Person)
Owner is BigD (BD)

NP: Mr. BD, whatever possessed you to "create" such a monstrosity?
BD: Desire to beat Shawn at LightningFest 2005 (in the golf cart race).

NP: Where did you find the parts for your monstrosity?
BD: The golf cart came from a junk pile behind a man's barn in Wisconsin. The engine donor was a 1981 Arctic Cat snowmobile.

NP: Why a snowmobile engine??
BD: Great power to weight ratio. 85 horse, and I can lift it.

NP: With your weight, you need all the power you can get!
BD: Lowers the center of gravity.

NP: Did you actually think this monstrosity would run?
BD: I did, but those helping me had grave concerns about my engineering and design ability.

NP: Would you care to expand on those e/d abilities?
BD: All the plans were in my head. Nothing was committed to paper. The majority of the construction team was positive it would be "BigD's Folly" and never even go together, let alone run!

NP: How long did it take to put this eclectic combination of parts together?
BD: Five heavy beer-drinking 8-hour days with a group of 4-6 guys drinking and working as a team.

NP: Where did you get the idea for the striking color?
BD: It was the cheapest spray can "Ford engine blue" to be found as a K-Mart Blue Light Special.

NP: I have noticed that you have some beautiful, shiny metal pieces on the monstrosity. Do they serve a purpose?
BD: First, they help to hold the cart together. Then they provide sufficient support for my dainty body. But the most important fact is that they are all scrap pieces from manufacturing medical machines.

NP: Did this make you feel safer and more secure on the monstrosity?
BD: Yes, it was comforting to know that I was sitting on a piece of an MRI machine. Therefore, I felt that help was near if something untoward should occur.

NP: You have stated that this is a very powerful monstrosity, but I see that there is no roll-cage. WHY?!?!?
BD: We ran out of time in the construction phase, and everyone decided that a helmet and my hard head would suffice as a roll-over skid plate. We decided not to install the 5-point harness to make it easier to "bail off" should a malfunction occur or should I lose control of this powerful machine. We thought it wouldn't be too smart to be permanently attached!

NP: What is that strange looking protrusion at the rear of the monstrosity?
BD: It is a state of the art, KU-band, radar actuated, terrain following, safety wheelie bar.

NP: It has holes in it!
BD: Those are part of the weight reduction program for the chassis.

NP: Reduce weight from a safety feature?
BD: The metal is structural titanium, so a few holes didn't matter.

NP: Is that really an operational radiator on the rear of your monstrosity where the golf bags should be?
BD: Yes, that came off a crashed motorcycle. It also includes 2 non-working electric fans just for looks!

NP: Does your wife approve of this monstrosity?
BD: He!!, she doesn't even know how much I've spent, let alone approve! She knows I'm nuts, but the 5-spoke hubcaps (and a large insurance policy) won her over.

NP: Why is there a Dortmunder mini-keg on the left rear fender, and is it full of beer?
BD: No, actually 2 friends and I were forced to consume the beer so that the mini-keg could become the radiator overflow catch-can. This allowed the cart to meet the drag strip rules about dropping no water on the track. Rules are very important, you know!

NP: What plans do you have for future modifications to the monstrosity?
BD: I am currently struggling with the design decision to stay with the current motor, or replace it with an 1100cc motorcycle engine. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

NP: Wouldn't you like to run it at least once with the current power plant?
BD: Well, we did do some testing, after the construction phase, but did have some problems with the recoil starter at LightningFest 2005. We are in process of preparing the cart for a drag strip run before winter closes the tracks in Illinois.

NP: Are there any other features in the works?
BD: Before LightningFest 2006, we want to add electric start, roll-cage (Real One), and then install the 5-point harness. With a roll-cage we feel that I should probably be safe being attached to the cart!

NP: The monstrosity certainly is eye-catching!
BD: Yes, when towing it on a snowmobile trailer, we have had people almost crash on the highway as they turn to gaze on its beauty. It never fails to turn heads.

NP: Do you have any plans for using the monstrosity for other activities?
BD: Yes, we are considering adding flames to the overall sticker decor...and then maybe entering for Best of Show at LightningFest 2006.

NP: Thank you for your time and letting me ask questions about your monstrosity. Best of luck with your future mods and show class preparations.
BD: You're very welcome, and please plan to attend LightningFest 2006 and see the changes made to the cart over the winter.

END

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BigD's GC now has BLING!

Thanks to Will ("Chitown Willie"), there is now Real Bling under the GC!:tu:

Check out these works of art!

29596-427-28081.jpg

Per Will, you will only see them if I run over you!:D

That is some funny redneck $hit.
that's almost as redneck as lawn mower racing.
Got to do something when your stuck out in the middle of Green acres I guess.
Yee Haw!!!

:confused:

NVR L8,

Since you have never attended LF, you don't understand....ask some one who as watched the GC races between Shawn and myself!

NVR L8 said:
That is some funny redneck $hit.
that's almost as redneck as lawn mower racing.
Got to do something when your stuck out in the middle of Green acres I guess.
Yee Haw!!!

:confused:

Hey Y'all,
It ain't no more redneck than burying your pig in the ground to cook it and then diggin it up to eat it.:rolleyes: Or wearin clothes made out of grass and coconuts:rolleyes:

:D

Last edited:
Ok... when I've read these posts 'bout BigD's GC, I'm impressed. But then again, I'd surely like to see that thing IRL. It still misses something... like +100hp? When there's too much power, it still isn't enough.
Have to start saving for airline tickets for the whole family... ;)

Zand

Back