Getting the Red/Black 93 Back on the Road?

I'll give them that, as far as I know it's been kept indoors since I dropped it off. A few random pics on their Instagram had the truck in the background. It's an hour away from home, I just don't want to have to get it here if the weather is bad.

So something came home Saturday.............................

IMG_7115.jpgIMG_7123.jpg

Nope, It's not the truck, but I'm super excited about it. Like my L, I've had this car since new, it has under 20k miles and has been in storage for over 20 years. When it last ran it was a 306", with pro-shifted T-5, 9" rear, big iron heads, a custom-made manifold, and DFI. Sadly, it's just a roller. When I was a lot younger I wanted it to be more of a race car so I gutted it and had it caged. Shortly after, the shop closed and I lost countless parts.

Since I like punishment ;), this project should hopefully start sometime in January. My trucks probably been stripped and parted out by now, who knows. :rolleyes::mad::ROFLMAO:. At least I have possession of this car! It's now been 18 days since I was told: "the Lightning will be back to you by Thanksgiving at the latest" with no updates to its condition/progress. But hey, I have my Mustang back and can start work getting it cleaned, polished, interior stripped and deep cleaned, interior sound mat-ed, and get the lock cylinders rekeyed/replaced (Since I don't know where the door key is). This car may be running again before I ever see my truck again.

What I find funny, is this car still looks somewhat modern to me. I'm probably just getting old and my perception is skewed, LOL. It's actually 2 years older than my 93 L, but it seems like a much newer vehicle. But that's cool, because they each have a different "feel", they are both just so cool IMHO.

Last edited:
Yea that’s a sweet Fox! I’d love to find a nice one myself but like the L’s, prices are soaring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For real. I've had multiple people trying to buy it off of FB. I've turned down $10k and its a roller! A nice, complete Fox can pretty easily bring $15-30k.

The saga continues. :confused:

on 11/3/22 - "X says the Lightning will be back to you by Thanksgiving at the latest. He is still working alone with a helper and doing what he can. Thank you for your patience.

then 11/15/22 - After waiting 7-days for a reply "No information to update on the Lightning at this time. Will talk with X when there is time."

I understand and even sympathize since 2 guys can only do so much work and they are trying. But, we're going on 16 months now and crap weather is quickly approaching up here. I don't want to have it out in snow, rain, salt, or other BS conditions!

is the truck home??

I got an email form the owner yesterday saying he has brought a new tech onboard and they will start on the truck again next week. Yes, I've heard it before but it 'seems' like it might be legit this time. I even received 2- email replies in the same day! ;)

I hate putting my stuff in a shop that I can't stop by occasionally, daily.

Oh, I agree. I haven't seen the truck in 16 months! I hope things are winding down, the owner said he hired a new mechanic and one of his former guys recently came back so he's in a much better place to get caught up. I sent them a list yesterday of what I expect to be done before the truck is finished based on previous documentation/discussions.

Well, something has changed, the service writer is being more friendly and responsive which I appreciate. I got a list today of what's been done, and what's left to do to complete what we originally agreed upon. I'm cautiously optimistic that the truck could be done and home in the next month-ish. I was hoping it'd be back before I ship my Foxbody out though.

The truck is supposed to go on the lift this week for the final work it needs before it can come home. I know I've heard similar before, but I received an email asking about some parts in the bed and if I still wanted them installed, so that's promising. Plus, I found one tuner/dyno who can still tune EEC-4 so I'm going to give that a shot before making any EFI changes. Crossing m fingers for end of first week of Feb.

Chuck, even the best EEC tune isn't anything like a modern ECM. It's a computer designed in 1987, think 80286 vs modern i5 CPUs. I'd highly recommend something modern before turning the wick up. We're a long way from fixed boost retard ignition and FMUs now.

Closed loop wideband O2 feedback is a complete game changer.

Not saying you shouldn't get your truck back and enjoy it a bit before the next step, but I also wouldn't spend a fortune on an EEC tune.

The truck is still NA, I havent put Jamies old Vortech on yet. I think it'll be good to put some miles on it NA to break the motor in and make sure everything still functions properly before taking any next steps. Plus I am starting my Foxbody build so that's a hit to the wallet!

Back