Getting the Red/Black 93 Back on the Road?

These businesses seem to function on "who screams the loudest" so you being quiet keeps pushing you down the list. If they don't think you care about it they aren't going to get on it. I can't see this work taking one guy more than a week so as a decent sized business they should be able to knock it out and get it off the schedule in a couple days (minus part issues)

my vote. bug them until you get an answer.

Part of my history with the "L" has been self inflicted, but the a good has just been bad luck.

My last emails were 5/31 and 6/20, today I sent the owner a FB message. I told him its been a month since he replied and I wanted info on my truck, and we need to define a target delivery date because I want the truck back. Did I mention late July it'll be a year that its been there and Ive spent $6000 already (mostly labor Im sure). To my surprise, about 2 hours later I got a call from his new Service Writer. The guy explained he just started part time and is transitioning to full time, in addition they've been down to only the owner and one other tech where last year they had 4 techs, and like every small business have been trying desperately to hire. He said the owner feels very bad and doesn't not want to run his business this way, and is working to get his staff back and get back to normal. This does make me feel a little better.

About the truck, it supposedly runs now. He said they are still chasing a couple of small fuel leaks, the truck runs rich. I know the tune thats in it isn't great, it was never supposed to be a final tune but all these years later there are almost no options to tune EEC-4. At least now I have some hope that I might get it back before the end of July.

What are the EEC-4 tuning options these days? There is shop the other side of MI that can do it but cant get it in until end of August. I want to go Holley Terminator, but I really believe its beyond my skill level and no way its getting into any shop for an install this summer now.

@Jamie V Not sure if Jamie will read this or not, but I think I will try to install the Vortech on my own now. I may have some, or many, questions.

I'll have to figure something out for the MAF, can I use the existing MAF in front of the blower, or do I need a blow-thru style between the blower and intake?

I really wish I'd have bought the Kooks headers a year ago at $1200, I just checked and they are $2k now! :eek:

To make myself feel better I did get a few Lightning related items the past few months: a few posters marking its space in the garage and a nice insulated mug.
52186629221_077c43443c_b.jpg
52186641348_25dc46bac2_b.jpg
52187114020_75039b8927_b.jpg

Last edited:
If they are telling the truth then it is somewhat encouraging, however they should be communicating with you and you shouldn't have to extract the info out of them, period.

Anyway, don't do the blower until you get the tune figured out. Are you still running a TwEECer or EEC-Tuner?

Does the truck have a full exhaust with the shorties on it?

If this was me personally wouldn't go ahead keep changing stuff. try and get some of the small things finished up. (tune especially) and then enjoying it for a bit. Sure extra power is nice but Id take driving 300 hp over having 500 sitting in the garage apart.

Does the truck have a full exhaust with the shorties on it?

If this was me personally wouldn't go ahead keep changing stuff. try and get some of the small things finished up. (tune especially) and then enjoying it for a bit. Sure extra power is nice but Id take driving 300 hp over having 500 sitting in the garage apart.
The truck has Dave P exhaust with crappy MAC long tubes (the headers are crappy, NOT dave's work). Kooks would be replacing long tubes with long tubes, but quality headers with solid flanges, 304 SS construction, etc. It's more of wanting quality, modern parts on the truck that will last and look great, I doubt Kooks would provide more than maybe a couple of HP. Quality over price.

If they are telling the truth then it is somewhat encouraging, however they should be communicating with you and you shouldn't have to extract the info out of them, period.

Anyway, don't do the blower until you get the tune figured out. Are you still running a TwEECer or EEC-Tuner?
I'm going to choose to believe they are telling the truth, makes me feel better.

I had an EEC-Tuner years ago but it's long gone. Whats in it now is the A9M computer out of my 91 Mustang GT and the tune is on a chip (not sure what software was used, it had to be 12-15 years ago). I recently found that I have a SnEEC system, completely forgot I had this thing. Im not sure if its been used honestly. I see the website is still up, but Im sure the SnEEC as a product died many years ago. Theres a download link for v1.4 of the software but will it work with MAC or Win10, doubtful. I have an original Baumanator trans controller and a just-as-old Innovate Motorsport WB O2 box.

A worthwhile addition may be a modern WB O2 setup for safety and tuning, truck currently has Fuel Pressure and Water Temp gauges. What would be something good but not stupid expensive that could mount in the truck and be "permanent"? The Innovate is a 4x8 box with a small harness running out of the cab and pulls power from a cigarette lighter plug.

I whole heartedly agree with Travis.

When mine came out of its 7 year hibernation, I drove it for almost 2 years naturally aspirated, Bassani exhaust, first with the AEM Series 1/Quick 4 in it, and then with the PxS when it became available. I worked on the NA tune with smaller (30#) injectors, worked on my feel for tuning with TunerStudio and thoroughly enjoyed driving the truck.

I did the suspension mods during this time, too.

Then, I put all the turbo stuff back on it and generally twiddled and tweak with things in little bits and pieces so that the truck wasn't down for more than a day or two when I made changes.

I still have the AEM PnP that is a literal bolt-in for the A9 series of computers. It's a big step up from the EEC programming, but still is circa 2000, so its dated. You're welcome to use it and I'd be willing to sell it cheap if you decide you want to keep it. It's just sitting on a shelf. I'd bet given the similarities in our combos, with 30# injectors, it would run your truck fine right out of the box and you could ditch the mass air.

Thanks for the offer Jeff! I may take you up on that, let me see what shakes out in the next few weeks.

2.5 more weeks & no communication so I sent the shop a fussy message. I received an email within an hour with a copy of my invoice 😂 (Only owe them $300 currently above the "deposits"), however, they still won't answer when I ask for a target date to pick up the truck. I just want to drive it again, and I'm starting to have Mustang thoughts again since it's been so long.

There is a tuner here in MI that tunes EEC-IV but he's booked until early September, I may not even have my truck back by then. @FMOS Racing would I need to change anything to use your old AEM and my original Baumanator? Is Tuner Studio Lite what you guys use to tune MegaSquirt/PiMPXS? I've watched a few Fox Body tuning videos and the software looks simple. Some of the principles of how the engine works and what parameters affect what seems a bit complicated though.

I'm thinking of not putting on a Holley EFI or the Vortech and diverting the money towards my Foxbody Mustang. I've had it since new like the L, but this one is a HUGE project (not an easy one like the L :ROFLMAO::cry:😂 ) because it was mainly a drag car, it's currently a roller with (almost) full interior and not much more. A Godzilla and a T56 would be a sweet setup! But why didn't I leave well enough alone on both of them? Just young and dumb back then, I wish I could go back and slap some sense into myself

As far as I know, as long as you have 30 lb injectors installed, it should plug in and go. You'll have to wire up the map sensor, but that's not much of a challenge.

I think with the current MAF setup I have a MAP sensor, but I imagine it's wired into the "jumper" harness for the maf/injectors.

I'm starting to think about the Megasquirt after watching some tuning videos using Tuner Studio. I think now the wiring scares me more than the actual tuning, especially with the auto-tune capabilities.

With the Stinger ECU, you move 3 pins in the main harness. That's all the wiring needed. Given the similarities in our combos, I'm pretty certain we could get it running pretty dang well right out of the gate.

Really, that's it? Nothing to change with the trans controller?

How is the AEM software vs Tuner Studio? And yes, my truck has 30lbs for NA, I think I bought 60's for the Vortech but they aren't installed (that I know of anyway)

You can download the AEM software here. It's dated, but functional. You want either AEMPro (Series 1) or the AEM Tuner - Series 2 software. They say the Series 2 isn't guaranteed to work with the Series 1 ECU, but I didn't find any glitches in the time that I used it.

The PimpXShift (PxS because I don't care for the name) is an all-in-one-box solution. You move 3 wires in the stock 60 pin connection, setup the internal jumpers for whatever your hardware configuration is (type of ignition, map/maf, batch or sequential) and screw it in. It's all installed in an EEC-IV case, so it goes into the slot of the stock ECU. The MAP is internal, so you just pull a piece of tubing to it.

I had an old extension harness laying around (I had used it to move the AEM further into the passenger compartment while still tying to the stock connector, and as the breakout for the Quick 4) that I moved the 3 wires in so I can put the PxS in the white truck, play with it for a minute, and then take it right back out. Once I install it permanently (after my smog inspection in a few weeks), the pink part goes away, the silver box that looks like an EEC-IV is the PxS. It's really a slick solution, especially for the price.

My '95 runs the PxS in sequential, the '94 in batch, for my '95 it does everything, boost control, fuel pump control, electric fan control. Billy has his running Coil-Near-Plug now. There's a whole lot that can be done with them.

IMG_20220613_102413187_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
You can download the AEM software here. It's dated, but functional. You want either AEMPro (Series 1) or the AEM Tuner - Series 2 software. They say the Series 2 isn't guaranteed to work with the Series 1 ECU, but I didn't find any glitches in the time that I used it.

The PimpXShift (PxS because I don't care for the name) is an all-in-one-box solution. You move 3 wires in the stock 60 pin connection, setup the internal jumpers for whatever your hardware configuration is (type of ignition, map/maf, batch or sequential) and screw it in. It's all installed in an EEC-IV case, so it goes into the slot of the stock ECU. The MAP is internal, so you just pull a piece of tubing to it.

I had an old extension harness laying around (I had used it to move the AEM further into the passenger compartment while still tying to the stock connector, and as the breakout for the Quick 4) that I moved the 3 wires in so I can put the PxS in the white truck, play with it for a minute, and then take it right back out. Once I install it permanently (after my smog inspection in a few weeks), the pink part goes away, the silver box that looks like an EEC-IV is the PxS. It's really a slick solution, especially for the price.

My '95 runs the PxS in sequential, the '94 in batch, for my '95 it does everything, boost control, fuel pump control, electric fan control. Billy has his running Coil-Near-Plug now. There's a whole lot that can be done with them.

View attachment 103213
I'll have to dig out an old Windows laptop and download the software to check it out. I use a Macbook and it's not compatible.

I agree the name of the PimpXShift is pretty bad! LOL. The PxS does seem like a really good DIY solution. But, the Holley seems like the "mainstream" solution. The PxS install sounds very easy, would it still be only 3 wires considering I have a Baumnator/Quick 4 already installed? I'm surprised to see that the PxS is now more expensive than the Holley Terminator X, I priced a PxS out at $2900. Ouch! What's the big difference between the MEga and Microquirts? Arent the Micros under $500?

I'll have to dig out an old Windows laptop and download the software to check it out. I use a Macbook and it's not compatible.

I agree the name of the PimpXShift is pretty bad! LOL. The PxS does seem like a really good DIY solution. But, the Holley seems like the "mainstream" solution. The PxS install sounds very easy, would it still be only 3 wires considering I have a Baumnator/Quick 4 already installed? I'm surprised to see that the PxS is now more expensive than the Holley Terminator X, I priced a PxS out at $2900. Ouch! What's the big difference between the MEga and Microquirts? Arent the Micros under $500?

Wait, what? How did you come up with $2900??? I just spec'd one out with wideband and FF sensor for 1275.00.

1659719959545.png

Or if you went trans control you can use the xshift for $1700 and sell the Q4. With the Holley you NEED the Q4.

1659720177574.png

Latest update, the truck is supposed to be done within a month. I'll believe it when they hand over the keys. It hasn't started yet according to the owner even though the new Service Writer said it ran. He's new so maybe he's confused. there's still some fuel leaks and other things to button up, tunings still a question. I'm also having a modern Innovative WBO2 installed, is it worth doing to dual bank O2?

Just curious if anyone has gone from modified MAC headers to Kooks? If so, does the header back exhaust line up with either/both headers?

Wait, what? How did you come up with $2900??? I just spec'd one out with wideband and FF sensor for 1275.00.

View attachment 103274

Or if you went trans control you can use the xshift for $1700 and sell the Q4. With the Holley you NEED the Q4.

View attachment 103276
I dont know, LOL! Maybe I accidentally clicked quantity of 2? With the Holley, not only would I have to pay for installation, but I'd have to buy a new Quick 4 because I have the original (and very old) Baumanator, we're talking like software on floppy disk, Windows XP and serial connection old.

I just priced the PxS out at $2076, or $1536 with no WBO2 or gauges.

Does the Innovative work with the PxS, I see they only sell Spartan and AEM.

Which Innovative is it? How old is it? I ask because if it's an antique sell it along with that old trans controller :)

Also to keep this an apples to apples comparison, you're adding gauges which you'd have to do with either system. Just putting that out there.

Back