GEN 1 stereo install

BWSlightning

1993 L #204
I just got a black 93 ford lightning , i need some help on changing the stereo, what do i remove to change the stereo???

thanks

You just need the tool that unclips & pulls the old head unit out. It looks like a big U. You plug it in the holes on either side of the radio, pull the 2 away from each other to release the clips that hold it in & pull the head unit out. Unplug the wiring harness & antenna & you are done... takes about 30 seconds. To install your new radio, most of them come with a mounting cage that clips in... mount it. Purchase a wiring harness adapter to plug the new head unit in to the stock wiring harness, hook up the antenna, slide the new radio in until it latches in place, snap on the trim piece that came with the new radio & you are completely finished.

Steve

i forgot to add there is an aftermarket alpine unit in there i tried pullin it out but it's in there relly tight , should i just go ta circuit city and and have my pioneer unit installed so i dont' mess anything up/

Nope... Alpines click into place. Pull the black trim ring off, then if you look at the L & R sides you will see a clip on eaither side. Use a small screwdriver to pull them up & slide the head unit out. I usually use 2 pair of small needle nose pliers. I grab the head unit just below each clip, so the pliers hold the clip open, then just pull straight out. I can E-Mail you pics later if you need me to.

thanks for all the help u were right about the clips i took it out like in 2 mins now there is a new pioneer deh-p6600 unit

Back