Gen 1 Over revs at idle and shifts extreemly hard

jwall4367

Hay guys. I'm the original owner of a 95 Lightning.

Problem, a few days ago he engine started to idle higher than normal. Not bad but above 1100 > 1200. I figured it was the IAC valve needed cleaning again and maybe the throttle body.
NO
Today it would not shift to OD unless I floored it and after a few miles it would not idle below 2800??
Cleaned TB and IAC valve = no change.
Shifts like I spent big $$ for a shift kit.
Once, long ago, when it was under warrenty, the shift thing happened and the local dealer replaced the speedodometer. Worked ok until now.
BTW, stock ignition, too.

Any suggestions. I can't drive like this.
Thanks
Jeff

tried to follow the link posted above, but its no longer a good link...

If you're having similar problems to the o.p., it's probably a classic TPS failure. Yes, it can make the engine idle really high (3000 rpm for me once) and the trans do funny things, including not shifting (felt like it went into neutral at WOT).

Last edited:
I have a 93 and my problem is I changed the trans fluid lots of metal in the filter and around the magnet in the pan, also had the valve body solenoid changed along with the plug for it, now the trans won't hardly move I say hardly move because if you put in any gear it just sits there rev it up a little and it barely creeps about a foot before stopping, has anyone ever had this problem or heard of something like this ever happening before, the trans in not old only maybe about 8000 miles, the old fluid did not smell burnt or anything like that, I was wondering if maybe when the VB solenoid plug was changed the wires could have been crossed or something, I usually do this myself but because of work I let a friend do it I hope I didn't make a mistake. Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated, also if anyone has a picture of the wiring diagram of the VB solenoid to the MLPS switch and wherever it goes from there would be greatly appreciated, sorry for the long post but I need this fixed ASAP(love to drive it and the compliments when people see it) Thanks in advance: JohnB

So the problem started immediately after the R&R? If so, definitely check the wiring first. MLPS and Solenoid Pack are separate wiring. MLPS just tells the computer what position the shifter is in, the SP wiring tells the transmission what to do.

View attachment 39697

Back