Gen. 1 exterior mirror install

Ranchero 1968

"Mr. Happy"
I bought my Gen. 1 last June and finally got to replacing my sideview mirrors.
I will explain and follow-up with photo's in order of replacement.

You will need:

1. two mirrors
2. duct tape
3. #25 torx head, #20 torx head and 8mm socket
4. phillip's head (cross-point) screw driver
5. two #168 interior bulbs
6. four - 3" zip ties

Start by disconnecting the battery, then break the torque on the exterior mirror (#25 torx head) bolt's, remove the phillip's head screw at the arm rest, remove the 5 screw's at the bottom of the door panel, remove the screw just below and forward of the swing window, remove the switch bezel screw and lift up on the aft end of the bezel to separate it from the door panel.

Once the switch bezel is separated from the door panel you gain access to the back of the switches and remove the 3 phillip's head screws. Set the bezel out of the way as it is plastic and very fragile.

WARNING: Be aware of courtesy light assembly connected to the rear/inner side of door panel

Now, you are ready to separate the door panel from the door. Slip each hand under the ends of the door and pull outward and slide forward to clear the inner door handle.

Look down to the rear of the door and twist and pull out the courtesy lamp assy.

Once this is accomplished you are ready to set the door panel out of the way. Remove the four #20 torx head speaker screws and disconnect the speaker harness. Now, remove the white plastic liner from the door, remove the 8mm grade 8 bolt from the inside door panel and disconnect the white power mirror connector. Remove the two exterior (#25) torx head bolts and slowly pull out the mirror.

The next step is a tip from IVSVS: clean the exterior door and wax prior to installation of new mirror. I recommend waxing the exterior portion of the mirror.

Installation of the mirror is simple, just reverse the removal steps. Use two zip ties on each mirror wire harness to attach to the door. I used duct tape on the white interior door liner to keep it in place. I went all the way around the liner and around the speaker hole with the duct tape.

CAUTION: During installation you should remember to connect the power mirror connector and speaker connector or you will have to re-pull the door panel.

Install a new #168 bulb before installing the door panel.

WARNING: Ensure you are careful when installing the door panel as the plastic tab that the switch bezel attaches to is very brittle.

I broke the tab off the door and used Automotive Goop to re-attach the tab to the door. Let the AG cure for at least 24 hours before re-installing the switch bezel to the door panel.

I hope this helps others with this easy task...

James

Last edited:
james,

what replacement mirrors did you go with? I got some off of ebay for my 4x4 and with in 18 months they look like crap, oxidizing like a MF'er. the black paint is coming off the mount.

I really need to replace the ones on the L but do not want a similar experience....

thanks,
Matt

You can also refurbish your stock mirrors it is a pretty easy process just takes a little time.
I did mine and they turned out OK. They were in decent shape to start just needed a little sanding refilling and sanding then primered and painted then clear coated them. Did all this without removing the glass just tape it off and trim the tape to the glass edge. This allows the paint to get in the edge area around the glass. Total cost was 0 as I had all the stuff filler primer paint sandpaer etc already in my shop.:thumbup:

Thanks James! Did my mirrors and this was a big help.

Don't know if there are inside-the-door differences between '93s and 94-95's, but I didn't have to remove the door speakers to replace the mirrors.

I found NOS Ford mirrors on eBay and they came with new inside and outside mounting screws and a wire retainer so I didn't have to tape the wire to keep it out of the window's way.

As of this post there are still NOS Ford mirrors on eBay for $50 each, just search eBay for the Ford part numbers:
- driver side is F3TZ-17683-C or F5TZ-17683-E
- passenger side is F3TZ-17682-C or F5TZ-17682-E

And while you're in there, if you've got annoying door panel squeaks, try this http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/how-articles/214859-de-squeak-door-panels.html

Back