Gas Tank Strap Recall for F150/F250/Blackwood

Speedin Bob

INSANE Asylum Orderly
This might be a sticky worthy thread. I did some digging this morning and the details are below.

Recall Campaign 11V385000 has 1 Related Investigation
NHTSA Action Number: EA11006
FORD'S RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 11S21

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
FORD / F-150 1997-2004
FORD / F-250 1997-1999
LINCOLN / BLACKWOOD 2002-2003

Manufacturer: FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Mfr's Report Date: JUL 29, 2011
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V385000
NHTSA Action Number: EA11006

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:MOUNTING

Potential Number of Units Affected: 1,100,000

Summary:
FORD IS RECALLING CERTAIN 1997 THROUGH 2003 MODEL YEAR FORD F-150, 2004 MODEL YEAR FORD F-150 HERITAGE, 1997 THROUGH 1999 MODEL YEAR F-250 LESS THAN 8,500 LBS. GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING (GVWR), AND 2002 AND 2003 LINCOLN BLACKWATER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM JUNE 20, 1995, THROUGH AUGUST 4, 2004, ORIGINALLY SOLD, OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN, CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KENTUCKY, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO ROAD DEICING CHEMICALS MAY CAUSE SEVERE CORROSION OF THE FUEL TANK STRAPS WHICH SECURE THE TANK TO THE VEHICLE.

Consequence:
AS A RESULT OF THE CORROSION, ONE OR BOTH STRAPS MAY FAIL ALLOWING THE FUEL LINES TO SEPARATE FROM THE TANK, OR IN SOME CASES, CAUSING THE TANK TO CONTACT THE GROUND. EITHER SCENARIO MAY RESULT IN A FUEL LEAK PRESENTING A FIRE HAZARD.

Remedy:
FORD WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND INSTRUCT THEM TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE FUEL TANK STRAPS REPLACED WITH STRAPS THAT HAVE INCREASED CORROSION PROTECTION. EARLY IN THIS CAMPAIGN, IF REPLACEMENT STRAPS ARE NOT AVAILABLE, DEALERS MAY INSTALL A CABLE SUPPORT UNDER THE STRAP AS AN INTERIM REPAIR OR A STEEL REINFORCEMENT OVER THE EXISTING STRAP AS A PERMANENT REPAIR. ANY REPAIRS WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT SEPTEMBER 12, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD MOTOR COMPANY CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP CENTER AT 1-866-436-7332. FORD'S RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS 11S21

Notes:
FORD'S RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS 11S21. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

ORIGINALLY SOLD, OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN, CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KENTUCKY, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA.

Only effects salt belt states looks like

ORIGINALLY SOLD, OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN, CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KENTUCKY, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA.

Only effects salt belt states looks like

I do not see Oklahoma there. They use a salt/sand mix here, and that is just as bad as sand aloone far as I am concerned.

im in VA and my 97 spends most of its life in MD and DC and the recal wont help me because it is housed in VA and they use liquid salt here this is kind of BS. I climbed under my 97 and the straps were all coroded but my 2002 HD they looked fine

The new salt spread they use here in Connecticut is going to kill people. It is nasty corrosive. It eats metals at an alarming rate. Brakes and now fuel straps will fail, and sooner or later someone will be killed. Plowing/sanding would be much preffered in my eyes. They pretreat with salt so often when we don't even get snow. Of course my Lightning never sees the salted roads, so it won't be visiting Ford for this recall. Maybe, if they let me I will pick up the straps anyway.

Jim

"IF REPLACEMENT STRAPS ARE NOT AVAILABLE, DEALERS MAY INSTALL A CABLE SUPPORT UNDER THE STRAP AS AN INTERIM REPAIR OR A STEEL REINFORCEMENT OVER THE EXISTING STRAP AS A PERMANENT REPAIR."

Bailing wire? Those fixes are sure to win "best of show" for the under-carriage!

Replaced the fuel pump here in Tempe Az last month where the truck has been since new, and the straps looked like new. We don't have rust here. Na na na na na na.

Of course, I had to repaint the truck last week because of constant UV overdosing. The center of the earth has nothing on us.:laughing6:

Got my recall yesterday, so time to climb up under the truck and inspect them... Don't really want to take it to the dealership and loose the truck and time for 1 day but if it's bad atleast it's a free fix... My truck has seen 2 chicago winters in its life so it shouldn't be too bad!!!

Having originally lived in the "north", I can attest to the fact that the "southern" states' salt mix used for de-icing the streets is VERY mild compared to whats used in the salt belt. It's not uncommon to drive around in the salt belt, to see vehicles that are only a few years old, with rust holes behind the tires, rusted out bedsides, quarter panels, cab corners, fenders, FRAMES, and heaven forbid you climb underneath and see all of the corrosion on the undercarriage. Exhaust systems are done in a couple years.

When I moved to Arkansas 20+ years ago, watching a snowstorm cover the roads was hilarious. NOONE goes out. On the news, you're directed to go to Walmart and buy ALL of the bread and milk you can to cover yourself for a couple days. Then the snow removal "team" gets out in their highway department trucks....which, at that time, amounted to a couple guys in the back of a dump truck with a shovel spreading sand/salt mix while the truck is driving down the road. It hasn't changed much..but at least now the salt/sand trucks are somewhat automated in that they don't need quite as much manpower now. Now it's just a dumptruck with a chain across the tailgate so it can't open up as much. They just tilt the bed up a little and drive off. Still redneck ways of doing things compared to the salt belt states but better than a couple guys in the back of a truck shoveling. BTW 20 some years ago, the salt/sand mix was 80% sand 20% salt. And it was ALL gone in usually 2 days' time due to weather. Might be 10 degrees today but in a couple days it's 75 and sunny. Spring tiime goes from 45 degree days to 110 in a matter of weeks, and fall does the same thing only backwards. 110 to 45 in a few weeks. 2 seasons here. Unbearably hot season and the cold rainy season.

Had mine done other day. Only took little over an hour to change straps. Truck only has 31k on odometer, and not driven in winter, but said what the hell it's free. They also gave truck a once-over, and washed it all for$0.00!! Not a bad deal. :3g:

After reading these posts, I called the local dealer and found that my truck did not have the recall done. As I have done in the past, if I get a recall notice after I sell the vehicle, I pitch the letter, especially if I don't know the buyer. That is what the seller of my truck probably did. L goes in this Thursday for the strap replacement. Thank you for posting it here.

I still have to get mine done. No hurry as my existing straps are fine, so not worried about it. Have not done it because the stupid dealer wants the truck for a whole day to do it. I basically told them fo F-OFF!

The dealer here said it would take half a day. Since I am retired, I told them I will bring it in and wait around. They had it done in 45 minutes from the time I drove into the service dept. door.

I mentioned to a friend with a 2000 F150 about the recall. He had done it himself before the recall because while filling the gastank at a gas station, the strap broke, pulled the fuel line out and spilled the gas all over the place. He had tiedown straps in his truck so he strapped the tank up by using his tiedowns all the way around the bed. He bought the replacement gastank straps at the dealer for about $30.

Got my recall in the mail today, straps still look showroom, so I pitched the recall. Thanks Speedin for doing the info research/sharing though.:tu

Back