Front body mounts

Boltman

Hi all. First post on this site. Think I am gonna like it here. I have a black 95 and the front body mounts are in poor shape. Rusted away about all the way around the mount. Can these be fixed? Are there replacement mounts available?

Just checked out my core support. Looks like it could be replaced too. How hard of a job is that?

If your replacing the whole mount as in, removing the rivets and replacing with a bolt in application your life is easier. If your just replacing the rubber/metal mounts then make sure you got a variety of cutting/drilling/prying tools on hand. Oh and a wide variety of dirty vocabulary at your disposal too. As Bump said, it's not really hard or complicated it just sucks! If the problem area is the actuall core support which is usaully the case as they are known to rust out around the mounts then a core support replacement is a pretty painless process. I personally, bought a used core support from a Pik-a-part for $30 and did some minor rust removal,stripping and painting. I beleive new replacements are available but, I personally am one for making a like new part out of a used piece for a cheap price and some sweat rather then paying triple the cost for a replacement.
And you know what, even though I've had several folks explain it to me,seen several diagrams and tried different combonation I still can't figure why and how those wierd,big split washers work or where in the washer/shim stack they really should be. I just don't really understand them. I just have them second from the top under a big washer and the nut.
If you don't understand what I am talking about,you will once you get into your core support.
One more tip, don't over torque the nut down onto the new core support bushing. I did and after a couple years the bushings are all cracked up and probally need replacing again. My finely calibrated elbow always is over by about 50ftlbs. Keep me away from anything threaded in aluminium cause I'll make a quick mess of that too.I've become quite the master with a thread-sert.

Thanks stroked. Good advice. Prolly gonna do a whole core support replacement.
Good winter project for next year. Sounds like no welding is required for the core support? Already replaced my rear spring perches last year. What other areas are prone to rusting on Gen1 lightnings?

Thanks stroked. Good advice. Prolly gonna do a whole core support replacement.
Good winter project for next year. Sounds like no welding is required for the core support? Already replaced my rear spring perches last year. What other areas are prone to rusting on Gen1 lightnings?

You are among friends when it comes to fighting rust. Basically anything riveted to the frame is subject to rusting out. Also, watch your front shock/spring towers. They hold dirt on top and behind and many are failing now. I replaced my towers, core support, perches, and rear upper shock mounts two years ago. Still have some problem areas like the rear fenderwells and the dreaded lower cab corner that need attention.
Good luck! These are projects that pay dividends in the future.

Back