Frame up on a 91 f150 questions

kingofaces

I'm going to be starting a frame up restoration on my 91 f150 here before too long. My question is on the cabs. Did anything change between the 91 and 93 f150's mounting bracket wise? I plan on getting a 93 and up parts truck to make my life a lot easier. But what I'm asking is will the dash and interior bolt into the 91 from a 93 or so? I need new doors anyway so I would just swap the doors and grab the front clip as well while I'm at it. I have given my self a while to get this done (think years not months) I want it to be right haha. I know it'd be cheaper in the long run to just buy a lightning but it's cheaper to me doing it this way (small per chases not large ones) and I would know my truck better than most as we'll haha.

If you have a 91' any parts trucks 92' and up will be totally different interior wise and imo be weird. If I was u I'd keep it simple, lower it, get some lightning rims 1st or 2nd gen put a shot of nitrous on it with nice exhaust a set of long bars and go have some fun. Interior wise get some mustang seats out of a fox body. Would probably be pretty cool. I wouldn't technically clone a lightning though. Keep it a hot rod f150 brick nose style is cool now!

I thought about it but there's not a lot of support for our trucks. Really I'd love to throw in a carbureted big block stroker and manual valve body c6. But nobody offers any help.

If you really wanted a big block c6 setup, I believe the 1987 f250 or 350, had a big block c6 setup...I know the earlier trucks did, and for the most part, 80-96 frames share a lot of similar but you may need to drill new bolt holes for the trans crossmember. The engine towers/mounts for a BBF will work in your truck no problem.

Driveshaft may need to be modified, as Im not sure if the output shafts were the same on the BBF and SBF c6 trucks, either way, may be as simple as swapping yokes.

With some homework, OE parts will get it done, or many aftermarket companies offer improved products.

Last edited:
Bbf/c6 swap is easy whether you use factory parts of aftermarket swap parts like L&L or Autofab. Front flip and interior is all personal preference. I like the 92-96 the best but a clean 87-91 can look good too especIily lowered with nice wheels

Did the cabs mounting wise change any throughout the 80-96 year span? As far as mounts for the dash and such? In other words can I bolt in say an 84 dash or say a 93 dash assembly and wiring and not have to custom fab parts?

Yes, the dash changed substantially in '92. Nothing will line up easily. I've seen an older truck with a newer dash, and it was a catastrophe. It would be MUCH simpler to put a newer cab onto an older chassis.

I wouldn't waste the time to go the other way, either. The older dash is much harder to install/remove, and has fewer useful features, and will be in generally worse condition due to age. The dash wiring would be another problem... The wiring has to match the dash (unless you like playing with spaghetti for months - don't ask how I know), and the '80-86 dash connectors don't fit the '87-91 firewall cutouts.

For the easiest, most-comfortable, least-problematic truck: match the cab, dash, & its wiring. Everything else is relatively easy to mix. Click this & read the caption:

I'm going to be starting a frame up restoration on my 91 f150 here before too long. My question is on the cabs. Did anything change between the 91 and 93 f150's mounting bracket wise? I plan on getting a 93 and up parts truck to make my life a lot easier. But what I'm asking is will the dash and interior bolt into the 91 from a 93 or so? I need new doors anyway so I would just swap the doors and grab the front clip as well while I'm at it. I have given my self a while to get this done (think years not months) I want it to be right haha. I know it'd be cheaper in the long run to just buy a lightning but it's cheaper to me doing it this way (small per chases not large ones) and I would know my truck better than most as we'll haha.

Where are you located? It's a long shot, but I may have an 87 minus front clip and odds and ends that I'd sell cheap. I say I may have it because I got what I wanted from it and told the friend that helped me with it he could scrap it, but as far as I know he hasn't done it yet. Truck is located in Stillwater, OK.

....with nice wheels

That's the real trick these days. It's getting really hard to find a nice looking set of wheels that are daily driveable. There's not a lot out there in 15s any more, tire choices in 17 and 18 are limited, and bigger wheels look silly.

That's the real trick these days. It's getting really hard to find a nice looking set of wheels that are daily driveable. There's not a lot out there in 15s any more, tire choices in 17 and 18 are limited, and bigger wheels look silly.

There are a bunch if you go through the effort of redrilling your rotors and axles to 5x4.5.

Btw this post is old. The op hasn't been on since 15.

If you don't mind using car wheels that's fine. My truck is still used as a truck and I need wheels with an appropriate load rating.

I didn't even notice the original date. It was at the top with just a few replies.

Back