Frame damage.

emc2809

So this happened today.. ****in Los Angeles Potholes, killed my frame.

6f7da7a7c4f537140eeb89219ca6418c.jpg

Is this repairable? I was thinking of welding that back together.. frame swap seems like a lot of work and this is my daily driver.. ****..

Pardon my French.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. How many miles are on that frame? I might expect to see something like that in the rust belt but not Cali. Hard to believe just pot holes are to blame. Abused by F-150 off road for years and years and the worst I dealt with was the I beam mount rivets working out. Nothing like that.

Doesn't seem like a quick weld it up fix would do the job here without removing everything from that area of the frame so it could be set up properly.

that's awful. sorry that happened. frame looks as if it's possibly been in a corrosive environment. do you know if it has ever spent a substantial period of time in a northern area and encountered road salt or been exposed to something else?

From my understanding the truck came from Utah before buying it.. It has 167xxx miles on it.. man, this is all bad.. I guess new frame it is..

it looks like someone has already welded a scab plate(s)? onto the frame just forward of where the frame sheared in two. the failure occurred at the trailing edge of the thick scab plate, where the original frame material was apparently eroded by corrosion. this doesn't appear to be something that will be quickly repaired. it depends on how much corrosion damage the rest of your frame has. there may be other areas just as bad or worse. sorry, I hope i'm wrong.

I knew it had some rust before I bought it but it didn’t look this bad.. I’m going to take to a shop after work and see if we can put it on a lift without it snapping in two and crushing us lol.

Not pot hole related, Looks like the frame has been repaired already due to rust.. I would look for a replacement frame rather than fix it. Keep in mind that L chassis are Lightning Specific just in case you want to keep your truck as original as possible.

If the frame is that rusted it makes me wonder what else is. Might be hard decision time to keep, part out, cut your losses and sell, etc.

I knew the frame had some rust, I checked it out before I bought it.. just didn’t know it was that bad. I wouldn’t mind doing to drive to Bakersfield if those frames were for a lightning.. from my understanding the lightning frame differs from a regular f150.. I found one in Riverside but it was already sold.. should have updated that post IMO.. can’t part out the truck lol I’m trying to bring her back to life lol.

... from my understanding the lightning frame differs from a regular f150.

Yes ... there are some differences related to reinforcements at a couple of spots but honestly, a non-specific frame and a saved truck is better than the alternative, right?

Yes ... there are some differences related to reinforcements at a couple of spots but honestly, a non-specific frame and a saved truck is better than the alternative, right?

I wouldn’t expect that suggestion from you Ron! Lol

I’m doing some welding on Sunday just to get her back on the road.. she’s my daily driver.. but I’m keeping my eye out for a lightning part out.. I’m doing that frame swap for sure.

I actually have an L specific frame, all the way stripped down, that i'm no longer going to use, but I'm all the way out here in Iowa.

PM me if you actually are interested.

There is a guy in California on Offer Up that parted out a 95 L and has a clean frame for sale for $350. Don’t know how to link Offer Up.

Yea, he’s the one that hasn’t updated that listing.. i hit him up and he sold it already.

Back