First Autocross!!

Track123

I had my first autocross yesterday. What a blast!!:tu:

I started out conservative, maybe a little too conservative, but improved my times dramatically. We had 4 runs plus 2 "Instructional" practice runs at the end. I was able to knock off 2 1/2 seconds in one of my practice runs from my best 'official' time. I haven't seen the official results, but my best time from practice would have put me a lot further up.

The best part of the entire day was the reactions I got from both spectators and other drivers. I guess they are not used to full size pick-ups autocrossing, much less light the tires up from a 30mph roll. I was fighting for traction when I accelerated, but I didn't realize until after a couple of runs (my wife told me!) that my tires weren't only squealing, but also billowing out a ton of white smoke. :3g: I think that got everyone excited and even had the peanut gallery cheering. Everyone who came up to me was impressed (with the truck, probably not my driving) so I do think I won some cool points. Isn't that what it's all about anyway?

I have some pics at:
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/albumview.cfm?num=3591

The truck is still stock, so I'll probably keep it that way until my skills catch up. For now, I'll work on improving my driving and learn to feather the gas a little more. By the way, I did mess around with tire pressure a little and don't think I got it close until the last couple of runs. I searched and couldn't find a definitive answer, what tire pressure do you recommend for a Generation 2?

Chris
'03 Lightning

Welcome to the addiction! :) :bd:

I ran my F1's at 36lbs when I used them for autocross, they'd heat up some while going around.

I've been autocrossing about 2 years now with the groups by me, and I still get crowd reactions, its half the fun. :)

hehe

Dan

Dan, No problem rolling over the front's edges with 36? Sounds kind of low for a large street tire. I would have suspected 40+. I never ran the Gen2, but did take a ride with an experienced guy in his (he normally ran a '93 Cobra and was just playing), but he ran at least 40 in the front and several pounds less in the rear.

Chris, You might try marking the edges of your tires with a few dots of white shoe polish and see how far over you are getting.

Regards,

It depended on the pavement. The one place raced on very smooth pavement, and it was great, but on the rougher pavement I did have a little roll over, I changed them out to Pirelli's before I found an optimal pressure.

I definately recommend marking with polish too.

Dan

Last edited:
I have a question. On a small tight parking lot course do you just put the truck in 2nd to control wheel spin and kickdowns?

Hey Track123 I just got done with a two day school at Carolina Motorsport Park , my first time also. What a blast I had with my truck. The course is 2.3 miles around I ran with 17 others in the novice group, there was one other L in the group. We ran in the rain on Saturday so we ran slow because of the slick track, I only spun out one time. Sunday that track dried by afternoon so I ran faster. Being in the novice group we were not allow to go faster than 95mph on the staight aways and we could not pass each other. Also we had an instuctor ride with us each time we went out. Having someone who knew the course and is a trained instuctor really was great I learned so much about the way my truck handles and the right way to run the track. We ran for 20 min. at a time with about an hour between session. If you get the chance to do a road course you will love it, I did and can not wait to do it again.:dp: :3g: :nb:

Hey, Kim! Nice to meet you at CMP this weekend. Your L looked great on the track and and was really hauling the mail on Sunday!:tu: Did Brian tell you that I suggested you need a louder exhaust system? I could hear the blower all the way down the front stretch from "14"! :D

Thanks Rich and Tony and John and Jeff and all the other people of SCMC that put on one great event. My wife even had a good time Saturday inspite of the bad weather.
No Bryan did not relay your remark about needing a louder exhaust, my wife said the same thing that all you could hear was my blower whining has I ran the front straight.
I did not know at the time the Bryan Shugg was the 2002 American Iron champ. I learned a whole bunch of stuff from him. I hope to have a chance in September to hook up with him again. May be next time we get together your will run your truck. It is one awsome feeling puttiing a Lightning thourgh turns at speed.
Bryan said that I went from 55mph to 87 mph on the "Kink" over the two days. It was gtreat to meet you Rich and the others and I hope to see you all again.
:bd: :nb:

Rich if you would do me a favor. I wanted to post a thank you on the SCMC web site but since I am not registered I can not, so if you could tell them what a great job they did and all the fun I had I would be greatful.
Kim:3g:

Last edited:
Be glad to pass it on for you! They're looking at having another driving school at CMP in early to mid November so keep your ears open.

You were lucky to have Brian as your instructor. He is a terrific driver (and person) and I wouldn't be surprised to see him move to the pro ranks someday. I was fortunate enough to get a ride with him in his Cobra a while back and was amazed at his ability.

Not sure about taking the L on the road course ( I like the straight line stuff too much) but might bring the Cobra next time.

Take care!

Pics look cool, but in all of the "spinning" pics, only one tires is acually smoking? Why? Is something wrong with your rear end clutch pack?

Back