first autocross on sunday

likeustoleit

In Vino Veritas
bryan, a buddy of mine has invited me to go to an autocross in the local mall parking lot on sunday. i believe it is some sort of scca event. any suggestions? are they going to let me run with a cracked windshield?

It really depends on the coordinator and the tech inspector. Be sure you at least take out that broken fog light b4 you go.

For the first time, just have fun. If they have instructors available, you may want to have one ride with you, if it is not mandatory, at least for a session or two.

Relax, have fun, and make them respect the truck

After you, I'll be glad to answer any questions, I just dont want you head to be full of my words and not the instructor's

Bryan

thanks bryan. i am just going to compete for the fun of it. i've heard of autox races for a while, and just want to check one out. besides, apparently my eibach springs will make my L handle like a mid 80's buick. eibachs aparently cause these handling characteristics. :)

I'm not a big fan a eibachs but don't go into it w/ that attitude. Go to have fun. If you find the L is not doing what you want in the corners, have an instructor drive it. IF it handles poorly for him/her then I would think about jerking the Eibachs off. IF it handles OK for them, then improve the driver, :wink:

Call me when you are done, and we'll talk about it.

Bryan

not too bad

well, after i realized that sideways in the corners was not the quickest way, i began improving my time. i was able to cut over 2 seconds off my time over the day. man, there was pretty much only one stretch where i could full throttle it. i was feathering the throtte almost all the way around the track. in the end, i was about 2 seconds behind the stock WRX's on the course. i was about 1 second behind the mildly modified late 90's M3's. and i was about 2 seconds behind the late 90's supercharged, lowered, saleen imposter mustang. here's some pics. i had alot of folks pretty amazed to see a F150 hanging the a$$ out in the corners. alot of compliments. it was a fun time.

33815-1327-28402.jpg

33815-1327-28403.jpg

33815-1327-28404.jpg

Sloe Truk said:
What did you learn?

What questions do you have?

I'm glad you had fun!

Bryan

well, i learned that the truck has way more power than i could use on such a small track. i was full throttle maybe twice, and was feathering the throttle most of the time. also, that the L tended to understeer, unless i stabbed the throttle and kicked the rear out to get it to turn when i carried too much speed into the turns or picked a bad line. i learned that i should run a much higher than normal tire pressure. i also learned that if i was a better autocross driver, i could definitely have hung with the faster cars that were running yesterday.

Heavy vehicles understeer, point of fact.

Throttle modulation is part of the game.

Kicking the a$$ out is called rotation, you'll get better the more you do it.

THe L likes a late apex for sure

Go in smooth and under control, and come out like your pants are on fire.

Tire pressure depends on a lot of factors, take a piece of chalk and a tire pump next time. If you run too little AP you got tire roll, run too much and you slide. Now do you understand why I run the 40s on the front?

Bryan

i'm not sure when the next time will be that i take the L autocrossing again, but thanks for the info and tips. it was a good time, and i would recommend it to anyone. thanks bryan.

Bry how would i find an autox around me? ive got most of your truck laying around my house wateing to go on and I know im going to want to use it once it dose

Dbl G said:
So Bry....miss it yet????

Sheh ain't gone yet. Still waiting for a deal I can live. It seems $24k is about as cheap as I can get one from a dealer. I'm sorry I just don't think they are worth that. My eyes keep looking around and what did my little eyes spot yesturday? an 03 cobra for $22k. That seems more like it. Apparently the 2nd hand market for v8s is in the dumper b/c of gas prices, so trade ins are supposed to be low as well, however, NADA still shows mid $25k for trade in on mine. I sent her of for a super duty detail/clay bar/comppounding/blackout/ect... God knows I'll never do it, no patience for that game. After that, fix the exhaust leak and then hopefully find a deal. So technically I don't miss her yet, even though she is so slow in stock form, it isn't even the same truck.
Bryan

1Fast Dsg said:
so your looking at a cobra now?

Don't know what I'm looking for other than 4 wheels, brakes, motor, etc...

If I could find my dream track car it would be a Ferrari 308 on the cheap, a little weak in HP but a blast to drive, he11 to maintain tho.

I just can't justify the price of a Z, they are way over priced, even used. Onthe cheap you can get a enthusiast model for $24k, by the time you add a BBK for $4k, wheels and rubber (Volks and BFGs) $3.5k, decent LSD and regear $2.5K, INtake, plenum, headers and exhaust, tack on another $3k, cams $1500, Emanage $1000, Roll bar $1000, etc I've got more in the car than the car is worth to me, again. Need to find cheaper alternative, sponsor be dammed. MAybe a 240SX w/ coilovers dual setup drift/road race even w/ SR20DET swap, BBK, wheels and tires still out less than $10k total. Still thinking
Bryan

Back