Fastest time on 17s?

rusty_408

Rusty
I Support the NLOC
What’s the fastest times that you know of that has been put down on 17” wheels? Widened or otherwise?

There’s a few decent tire options out there now for 17s. MT Et streets R and SS. Hellcat guys are getting down to 1.4/1.5 60fts going to a 17” setup. I used to think for our trucks that it would take a 15” setup for time like that, but maybe I’m wrong.

What’s the fastest times that you know of that has been put down on 17” wheels? Widened or otherwise?

There’s a few decent tire options out there now for 17s. MT Et streets R and SS. Hellcat guys are getting down to 1.4/1.5 60fts going to a 17” setup. I used to think for our trucks that it would take a 15” setup for time like that, but maybe I’m wrong.
It's a good question, I think the problem we have is finding a tall enough tire that doesn't look like an o-ring on the rim

These are some of the sizes I was reading about. You can get a 30” ET street r

Attachments

• AB66D6A2-1841-499D-AA8C-B8EFB833DCD4.png
    AB66D6A2-1841-499D-AA8C-B8EFB833DCD4.png
    108.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 8A3D3201-4B0F-4994-B813-D9DC6D2A83B0.jpeg
    8A3D3201-4B0F-4994-B813-D9DC6D2A83B0.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 21
Jamie ran hard on 17s with the Rs.

I almost went that route before deciding to stay with the 15s for the strip and went to the 20s for the street.

I have a pair of stock wheels that have been widened to 10" and wrapped in M&H drag radials: 390/40/17

When I was going through my brake drama I was damn tempted to go 17's but did not see any wheel tire combos that looked as good as the 15" setups. Post pics of your 17" wheel and tire track setups!

On my truck, I think they're excellent on the road and on the track. You will need to install spacers, or massage the inner fender wells, or do a mini tub, so the tires don't rub.

Is the wheel diameter really that much of a concern at that level as long as you can get the height and width of tire you want? I think there's a lot more to worry about in that equation.

I think it's the cosmetics, wanting to keep the stock wheels (or a widened version). I pondered what I wanted to do pretty hard before settling on the route I chose. The lack of significant selection for the 17s was the deciding factor for me in the end.

I think it's the cosmetics, wanting to keep the stock wheels (or a widened version). I pondered what I wanted to do pretty hard before settling on the route I chose. The lack of significant selection for the 17s was the deciding factor for me in the end.
I know that's why he wants to keep them. I was saying that from a performance perspective the wheel diameter really doesn't matter these days as long as you can get a usable tire size in that diameter.

Plenty of people going really fast on 17s where 15s aren’t really an option. When my truck went 12.80s I ran it on 20s with drag radials and it went 13.0s probably all from weight and the tires being slightly taller. I wanted to spray it into the 11s on 20s but never did and sold the wheels

There are guys out there running mid 9s on repop Firestone Wideovals in F70-15, so about anything in a 17 could be made to work.

I do not think there's any argument about technical limits, most of this discussion is aesthetics. For me the question is; can I find a 17" tire that looks like this? Billy was running the same tire, but with beadlocks it looks even better IMHO.

20210829_201316706_iOS.jpg20210829_201338404_iOS.jpg

Back