F150 to lightning

zilkesmooth

Thinking about getting a project truck. I have a 1993 lightning that I got partially parted out. It has complete drivetrain and suspension with 90k miles. But the road salt and stirring outside has killed it. Frame and cab are junk. I have found a deal on a 1992 f150 with a 5.0 and auto trans which is rust free. My plan is to swap the motor trans sway bars and interior to the f150. How different is a lightning than a reg f150? Any surprises electrically I will run in to? I am mechanically inclined and have pulled motors before.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firing order of the motors is different, but since it's batch fire, injector wiring probably won't make a difference. The only difference I can think of in the cab wiring is the fog lights.

Best option is transfer the cab harness and L computer over. F150 computer is not same as L
I beams are different and there are differences in rear end assy and other areas. Many here with better info than me Im sure.

I-beams are the same, spindles are different in that the steering stop is in a bit different position to keep the tires from rubbing on the radius arms. All the other geometry is the same. The springs are different.

I got the impression the underbody hardware was all shot though.

Also, the auto in the 5.0 truck is probably and AODE, so the transmission harness will be different.

Thanks guys. The lightning ran but frame is rusted through. My plan was to use wiring harness, computer and driveline except rear end from lightning. And put in it the f150. Should be pretty much bolt in right ?

simply as reference, lightning rearend center housing has some extra radial webs cast into the lower front.

Back