Exhaust sound w/turbo

butang

What kind of exhaust is everyone running after the down pipe and how does it sound? Does the turbo quiet it down a lot or change the sound?

It quiets it down and smooths it out quite a bit.

On my small block truck I split the downpipe into two 3" Catco cats and then a single 4" heavy truck muffler and it's almost silent. On the big block it's just a single 5" Dynomax bullet and it's really pretty tolerable except for long hauls on the highway.

It's one of the reasons I went turbo - got tired of all the noise.

My Gen 1 has a 3.5" downpipe and single 3.5" exhaust with a Dynomax Ultraflo muffler.
I dont know what it sounds like under boost yet, but it is very mellow and quiet at idle....just like I wanted it to be.

My Gen 2 will be a single 4" exhaust with a "straight through" design muffler similar to what mhays26 will be.

Last edited:
I was running 3" to 4" with the GTSH76, just a single 4" dump pipe with the GT42, and my new setup will be full 5".

I have a Magnaflow truck muffler with cats, 3inch downpipe. I still cant get over cruisin' at 65mph and just hearing the wind going around the truck.

I bought a 5" polished SS muffler from Vertex Industries Inc. Its called an AeroTurbine. Looks like it will do the job, its sort of almost a straight thru design but they have a widget suspended in the middle of the muffler that forces the are to flow around it and then all kinds of high tech stuff starts to happen, the air acclerates....time stands still....sugar taste sweeter....you know that kind of stuff :D
Dale

It's not a truck, but my twin turbo (GT35's) Mustang sounds stock, less than stock!

It has dual 2.5" down pipes, into two huge Carsound cats, thru a Magnaflow cat-back system. The only time you hear anything is when the twins spool-up. Then it sounds like a low flying jet. If you listen real carefully you can here a slight whine at idle out of the tail pipes.

My new setup will be dual 3" with the Carsound and Magnaflows, 18psi

Back