Engine to Trans Bellhousing Separator Plate

JamesJ

Guys I'm looking for a new separator plate, im having problems locating one worth a damn. Any suggestions on which way to go because im about to just buy the Summit part number SUM-700600. Id like to clean and reuse my old one but someone.....forgot 1 bolt when i was pulling the trans and it did a number on one bolt hole. Plus the foam ring around the center is soaked through with oil from the motor having a rear main seal leak for so long. Anyway any guidance is appreciated.

There's nothing special about the plate or the foam ring. Cut away the bolt hole so it clears, and the plate will be fine; with or without the foam. Either cut a ring out of a sheet of foam, or soak that one in gasoline to get the oil out, and then let the gas evaporate out so it's dry again; or make a ring from common self-adhesive sponge weatherstrip; or make a ring from anything - it's only there to reduce vibration noise.

But it's the same plate for all smallblock-family engines with auto trans. And that aftermarket one doesn't fit or work like the original, and doesn't come with the foam ring. So you'd be no better-off buying it than just using what you have.

I have at least one that I've restored (from a common '93 5.8L truck), but it's not as cheap as Summit's.
1656216532492.jpeg

IMO, I wouldn't worry about reusing what you have.

Aside from throwing 0.060" worth of washers between the two, I'd say $53.00 isn't a bad price. However, after looking at the reviews, I would verify that the plate is the same thickness as your OEM one.

Nobody is gonna climb under your truck and complain that your steel plate is ugly....once it's sandwiched between your motor and trans, even you won't really see it.

Last edited:
Back