Engine ticking

HI everybody, i have 2004 L i bought used with 45k. When i purchase the truck i didnt notice the ticking not loud but noticeable. well is been almost two years i used 10w 20 moible 1 synthetyc and i could really hear the ticking when im like in a stop. Is this normal or should i be concern about something? thnks

I know you have an '04 with the 8 thread heads, check your spark plugs to see if they are loose anyway, they can still back out. You did not say if you have headers or stock exhaust, that can also be a source of ticking.

If you still can't find the ticking, try to narrow it down to a more definitive location, i.e. under the truck, passenger side, driver side or front.

I HAVE A BORLA EXHAUST I BELIEVE STOCK HEADERS, ILL CHECK MY PLUGS. And the ticking comes from under the truck but i know is coming from the engine.

Sometimes idler and tension pulleys can make a clicking or ticking like sound when their bearings start to go bad. It's easy to determine if they are the culprit by simply removing the blowers belt to see if the noise stops.

Last edited:
ticking sound could come form your exhaust. i have and 04 and b4 i put a full exhaust on i had a ticking from the passenger side 3 of the nuts had rusted off the studs holding the manifold on.

I've checked the above suggestions (except for changing oil to 5w20), and still experience a ticking sound which speeds up with rpm. Any other thoughts before I go change oil? thanks.

Does the ticking stop when you turn the A/C off? It may sound silly but mine ticks like crazy because my a/c clutch is bad. Drives me nuts.

In my case, it seemed louder when the engine was cold. Will check again now that I've just changed oil to 5w20 (was using 5w30). Just waiting for a new IAC to arrive.

Injectors, EGR (connection to exhaust manifold), plugs, idler pulleys or tensioner :headscratch:

Check your plug torque first so nothing backs out

If its in the fender well it's plugs

Retorqued the plugs and the exhaust manifold, replaced 2 idler pulleys, installed new tensioner from Magnum Powers and the ticking persists. . . now I am getting worried. .

In your case, since it's louder when cold, and you have checked, tightened or replaced almost all other sources, I'm beginning to think you might have a case of good ole piston slap. Very common with the Mod motors due to the very short pistons. If that is what it comes down to, it is nothing to worry about, my current engine has sounded like an older Cummins Diesel since the day it was built (wrong). The noise is embarrasing but it makes a buttload of power. I know of more than one person with n/a engines who complained to Ford when they were new and Ford just told them it is common, not serious and sent them down the road.

That being said, what ever happened to JOESLIGHTNING, he is the one who started this thread?

Mike

Back