Engine rebuild. What should I do?

Mike, if you're sticking with the stock rotating assembly, you and I can freshen it up in weekend. But I wouldn't mess with the bottom half if it's not giving you a reason to.

Aluminum heads are a nice upgrade. Custom cam. That's about all I'd do myself. If you stick with the stock heads, seals and springs are probably wise.

Don't expect to fix that rear main seal leak, though. After many attempts, I've decided it's just the way she marks her territory.
I would add 1.6 roller rockers to the list if just a top end build.

Mike, if you're sticking with the stock rotating assembly, you and I can freshen it up in weekend. But I wouldn't mess with the bottom half if it's not giving you a reason to.

Aluminum heads are a nice upgrade. Custom cam. That's about all I'd do myself. If you stick with the stock heads, seals and springs are probably wise.

Don't expect to fix that rear main seal leak, though. After many attempts, I've decided it's just the way she marks her territory.
haha! Dang! Would be fun to have you help me refresh my motor! Yeah the bottom end seems great, it's silent! Maybe I'll pull it. Clean it. change all the gaskets, heads and cam! That would be fun. I've never taken an engine apart.

Thanks for all the replies, guys! Got my head thinking!

I like the idea of leaving the bottom end alone since it's running good. Just throwing on heads, cam, and the other little things.

Don't jump into something unless you need it, ask me how I know. I haven't been able to drive my truck in probably 12-15 years, heck I haven't even seen it in a year. If you do move ahead set a goal, make a plan to get there and stick to that plan! Be sure to research your engine builder and expect a reputable shop to take 6-12 months before you get your engine back.

Back