ECU/computer experts needed

coopdog123

greased lightning
Been awhile guys, need some help with an ecu and cant find answers elsewhere.

Ive got a bosch ecu with a controlled ground pin that is putting out 12v all the time. I opened it up and found a solder joint that doesnt look right to me but i can't find any pics whatsoever of how it should look and my indiscriminate probing on the board isn't yielding any answers. Would anyone mind taking a look at a pic of it and telling me what you think?

bb29463009a821ba70c459de7601ccb3.jpg

Guess the pic would help. Top right leg of the chip

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

I'll have to find a PCM and take a pic, but I would just get a solder sucker out, heat it up and break that connection.

It doesn't throw any red flags to me. I see a lot of boards for different things. Flip the board over and try to follow the circuit see if it it a ground or power source to something? Worst case melt it away and test it. You could solder it back easily

Ive seen many solder bridges like that on pc boards. Nothing unusual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks guys. i thought about desoldering it but was afraid that it might fry something else if it was indeed supposed to be there. I guess ill just order a new computer because i can't find anywhere else on the board that looks the least bit suspect.

Solder takes about 500F +/- to melt...so I'm pretty sure that bridge is intentional. Just the fact there is SO much solder there also screams intentional.

$0.02

Is there a readable number on that chip? If so google it for the pin-out and you can eliminate if it's supposed to be a ground or not and have a little idea of that legs I/O or power function.

If it's a legit connection I would guess it has a jumper or trace/pad under it, would seem to be a bit of a gamble to just lay the solder paste down with the mask and run it through the oven and expect it to connect every time if not.

Curious - what did you find there and did you get the problem resolved?

Last edited:
Back