Dyno on 99.5 Lightning

H

Hotdog

Hey Guys,
I need to stop going down to Thunder Racing because I am not having much luck in that Chev. speed shop.
I took the truck down to dyno and I was behind a 94 Supera that dyno'ed at 405 hp.
It's hard to step up to the plate when you know you can't compete.
My truck has the full Bassani exhuast, chip,K&N filter, power tube, smaller blower pulley.
That dyno showed 365 rear wheel hp and 476 torque. Ofcourse I was hoping for a little more but at least I know where I stand.
The good news is that these trucks make a very flat hp and torque curve. It looks like there is a lot to be gained with lower gears and slicks. I'll let you know how the upcoming gear change goes.
I am going to the track with Mr. Jeff tomorrow and will post that later on.
Alvin

Missed you at the track. I can't believe you're disappointed in those numbers for the couple of mods you've made!!

Later!
Jeff S.

There a damn good reason you missed me Jeff!
I went west instead of east. I went to the old track on 190 past Swords. Yea, your note was real clear, but I still got mixed up. Give me one more chance next weekend!
Can you tell me how your truck is doing? I gave Jeff at thunder racing hell about some old ford truck slaming his Z28. His car is putting out 375 rear wheel hp.which is not that for from me.
My dyno hp & torque graph looks like a table. The torque finally drops down to the HP line at about 4,800 rpm and the HP runs straight across until we quit.
I don't know but it seems to me that a lower gear(like the 4.10's and some real rear tires) should drop the et.s on the quater mile a lot. Do you think the truck will hold up to that much torque if I load it up with slicks?
Sorry about your truck,
Alvin

If you're sure you can make it Friday night, I'll be glad to meet you out there! I kept watching for you, and there was a Dodge SS/T and also a R/T there that were both supercharged and running high 13s, so I was sure hoping you'd show up and throw down the gauntlet. :)

My truck has a crater in the #7 piston. Guess it finally just had enough abuse and flaked off a bit off the outer edge of the disc down to the first ring land. Right now I'm having major anxiety fits about what to do with it. I know what I WANT to do, but it's expensive... But rest assured that whatever I do, it'll be back tougher and meaner than before. ;-)

Gearing is an interesting thing. I'd say get some passes on the truck before gears so that you can see at what RPM in 3rd you're crossing the finish line. You really don't want the truck to have to shift into OD in the quarter mile, and gearing too low will make that happen and may slow you down. So, collect some data before just jumping on that band wagon.

Later!
Jeff S.

Hey Jeff,
I'm sick about your truck but you sure seem to be taking it well.
You were a little slow with helping your new, almost,could be friend about the gear change advice. They went in today. If they hurt my et.'s will you pay for me to put them back since you let me down?(you know I am still reeling from a bad blower pulley change out)
I won't be able to make the track this Friday because I want to run the gears in before jumping on them. Is the track open Sunday?
Thanks and good luck with your truck,
Alvin

That motor had over 55K supercharged miles and nearly 300 passes down the drag strip. Beyond the fact that it's been making more than double it's rated horsepower for a good percentage of its life, I've been around high performance long enough to know that everything will eventually break. It's that old "You have to pay to play" thing.

Most people (me included) are amazed at how much abuse those stock hypereutectic pistons took before one of them gave up.

Track isn't open Sunday, but it's open every Friday night between now and next November.

Later!
Jeff S.

Back