Don't order a hit on me.....

Screaming01L said:
If you are talking about a 428 in FE trim, that is a waste of money. FE's are antiquated and a 429 would net you better results

SOHC :D
427sohcgilmer3.jpg

For a historic twist on the mod Motor?
...a lot of money and the preformance can be equaled for less.

How about a BOSS 429?
Boss429_engine.jpg

Screaming01L said:
If you are talking about a 428 in FE trim, that is a waste of money. FE's are antiquated and a 429 would net you better results

I will agree that FE builds are expensive, I'll also give you the point that in the cubic inches wars, the FE will end up on the small side. But, I would not be so quick to call the FE motors antiquated.

You should do some research - alot of tech in a FE which is supposedly antiquated - is being used in modern day stuff. Look at the new chevy motors and see how different their firing order is compared to a FE. And skirted blocks, I believe mopar is still using that to keep their Hemi motors together. Rumor has it the new Ford hurricane motor is gonna use some of the outdated fe technology to get Ford back on top again.

The problem was age and availability of the parts. If you broke something on the track, you might not find a new 427 block by next week so you can race again. The aftermarket never made any parts for the FE since the fomoco stuff was "that" good... until now. Aftermarket heads, girdles, and blocks are available and pulling 550-600 hp is easy now.

I would also think that the big $$ guys, are prob. sponsored by or are the vendors. If they make what they run, and go fast, they will sell it...and they will come.. :)

airtroop01 said:
I will agree that FE builds are expensive, I'll also give you the point that in the cubic inches wars, the FE will end up on the small side. But, I would not be so quick to call the FE motors antiquated.

You should do some research - alot of tech in a FE which is supposedly antiquated - is being used in modern day stuff. Look at the new chevy motors and see how different their firing order is compared to a FE. And skirted blocks, I believe mopar is still using that to keep their Hemi motors together. Rumor has it the new Ford hurricane motor is gonna use some of the outdated fe technology to get Ford back on top again.

The problem was age and availability of the parts. If you broke something on the track, you might not find a new 427 block by next week so you can race again. The aftermarket never made any parts for the FE since the fomoco stuff was "that" good... until now. Aftermarket heads, girdles, and blocks are available and pulling 550-600 hp is easy now.

Trust me, I know loads about the FE, I have had many of them, Used to be a Fairlane fanatic, Ive done 390's 406's 410's 391 forged cranks to 390/428 blocks, lemans rods, nascar rods, 66 hipo heads drilling and chamfering oil galleys, putting carb jets in the oil rails, to slow oil to the top. the list goes on. Just the whole BB discussion started off with money in mind, and an FE isnt going to be cost effective. But if you really want an FE, DOVE are the F.E authority, Aluminum 427 FE blocks new .

BTW, a 428 sohc has nothing on a 427 cammer(also sohc):devious:

Fletch said:

If I remember correctly (from posts years ago) this is a 514 motor. Some dude in Florida is the lucky owner.

--Joe

Last edited:
Fletch said:
Our 5.4s are skirted blocks. I believe that the only FE that was is the 427 side-oiler.

all fe motors are skirted and center oilers and share the same architecture as far as I recall... with the exception of the 406 and the 427 which had cross bolted mains and the 427 with had the side oiler.

Screaming01L said:
Trust me, I know loads about the FE, I have had many of them, Used to be a Fairlane fanatic, Ive done 390's 406's 410's 391 forged cranks to 390/428 blocks, lemans rods, nascar rods, 66 hipo heads drilling and chamfering oil galleys, putting carb jets in the oil rails, to slow oil to the top. the list goes on. Just the whole BB discussion started off with money in mind, and an FE isnt going to be cost effective. But if you really want an FE, DOVE are the F.E authority, Aluminum 427 FE blocks new .

BTW, a 428 sohc has nothing on a 427 cammer(also sohc):devious:

Right... to stay cost effective with $$ in mind, get a 514 Ford Crate motor.

Back