December 2008 Gen 2 Truck of the Month-Congrats to Steve "Mr. HP" Grider (NLOC #2405)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skritch

December 2008 Gen 2 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Steve (Mr. HP) Grider ! (NLOC #2405)

This months Gen 2 truck claims the northwest ‘burbs of Chicago as it’s personal territory. A 2003 Dark Shadow Grey (DSG) model, Steve admits he is more into go than show and his changes thus far reflect that. Steve just picked up a fresh new “crewmember” with the birth of his son Jack just last month. It’ll probably be a number of years before Jack will be helping with the wrenching but there is no doubt he will become well versed on the subject ! Steve’s “quality standard” vividly shows throughout his ride as well as his stable of “Horses.” This is ONE clean truck ! Read on to get the details about “Mr. HP” and his Lightning.

100_3427.JPG

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

I’ve loved hotrod pickups since I was a little kid; my dads 327 Vette powered ’53 GMC pickup started it for me. Back in 1993 when Ford announced the SVT lightning and the Cobra I knew I had to have them both, it just took me a few years
1133FC_1_2_.JPG

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner?

When I first met my wife I was a long time bachelor. In the winter I used to store my Ducati motorcycle in the house. The first time she saw it in the living room in front of the fireplace her response was “that’s cool”. I knew from that moment she was a keeper.

100_0012.JPG

100_3321.JPG

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

I’m more about the go than show.

LFP – 4lb Lower Pulley
LFP – Valve Body
SCT X3 with LFP Custom Tune
Bassani Catback Exhaust
NGK TR6 Plugs
160 Degree Thermostat
Eibach Pro Kit

Best time to date is 1.80-12.98 @ 103.4 on Goodyear F1s. It was a 60 degree October day with a 20mph headwind.

100_3316.JPG

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning?

The day I bought the Lightning…

I was going to the Ford dealer to turn in my wife’s leased F150 FX4 with no intention of buying anther vehicle. That was until I saw a clean DSG ’03 L on the used lot. My wife was supposed to pick me up on her way home from work. I called to let her know I didn’t need a ride home, she asked why and I said I’ll show you when you get home. Sometimes it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission. To my surprise she was ok with my acquisition and later mentioned she had a funny feeling I might buy another Lightning. After ten years of being with me she doesn’t get shocked at my compulsive gearhead nature.

100_3305.JPG

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

I grew up in the suburbs of Detroit in the heart of the auto industry. My first job out of school was working as an engineer for Tractech designing “Detroit Lockers” and other drivetrain components. I have long since made the transition from automotive to the robotics and automation field as a mechanical engineer. My wife Jennifer and I relocated to the North West burbs of Chicago in ‘06 for work and on November 13, 2008 she gave birth to our beautiful son Jack.

Besides my love for Lightning pickups I’ve always had an addiction for foxbody Mustangs. Currently we have three Stangs, ’91 LX hatchback (the drag car), ’93 Cobra R (garage art / show car) and ’67 Coupe (the weekend cruz’r). I’m also proud to say I do all the wrenching, sometimes with help from friends.

100_14912.jpg

100_14881.jpg

100_15142.jpg

100_1291.JPG

Some of my other hobbies are collecting diecast models and automotive memorabilia. And I dabble with a guitar on occasion. My newest hobby is going to be doing as much as I can with my son.

DSC000981.JPG

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC?

I first became a paying member in ’97 after I bought my ’95 Lightning and then again in ’07 after picking up my current ’03. I think it’s a great club and great source for technical information that I will continue to support.

113E7F_1_2_.JPG

113EEC_1_2_.JPG

113E71_1_2_.JPG

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

I think the site is excellent the way it is, you guys do a great job.

100_3306.JPG

100_3308.JPG

8. Why did you pick your board user name (screen name)?

Mr.HP is a nickname given to me by a good friend a few years ago while I was wearing a Clay Smith Cams - aka “Mr. Horsepower” t-shirt. And since then the name stuck.

100_3325.JPG

100_3324.JPG

100_3320.JPG

100_22101.JPG

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck?

Nothing major, just a cowl hood, lower the rear end a little more and skinnies and slicks for the track. Now that the truck is in the 12s with minor bolt-ons I want to see how much faster I can go with just a weight reduction and chassis setup with minimal engine mods.

I’ve already asked Santa for another Gen1 that I would fully intend to go crazy with, stroked, turbo and all the go fast goodies.

100_3315.JPG

10. Whom would you like to thank for help\donations\support for putting the truck together?

My wife Jennifer for being very supportive of my hobby and all the guys and gals in the ILLNESS club.

IMG_8676.jpg

03l.jpg

Congratulations to Steve Grider and his 2003 DSG Ford Lightning for Gen 2 Truck of the Month, December 2008 !

Last edited:
Congrats on TOTM and the addition of the new "crewmember" :eek:ldtu:. You have an awesome stable :cool:.

DSG is the fastest and the Bestest Color. Good looking truck and the rest of your toys aren't too shabby either.

Congrats Steve. You and Jennifer have a lot to be prowd of, and I don't just mean your collection. Jack will be behind the wheel before you know it!!!
See you this spring, Steve

Congrats' Steve, Jennifer and Jack!
Let me tell you guys, having seen some of his "stable" in person, they are even cleaner/nicer than they look in the pictures:eek:ldtu:

The hell with the truck I'll take the Duck .. can you say Ben Spies .. That yellow 998 is sweet. I remember when they came out with the 748 ultra light back in the early 90, I was in Daytona Beach and saw a yellow and white one and what a beauty. You have a very impressive stable of toys/cars and trucks.. I know to well of parking a bike in the house:eek:ldtu: Congrats on the TOTM .... Tell me, I bet you don't have many miles on the Ducati , the ergo's are a bit extreme!! Now that's putting the motor in MOTORCITY:thumbup: Good Job man!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back