DEC 10 TRACK DAY

S

SVT1116

OK GUYS JUST CHECKING TO SEE WHOS GOING TO THE TRACK THIS SUN AND WHAT TIME IT IS. GOT TRUCK RUNNING WITH BLOWER, RUNS OK, IT HAS A KINDA DEAD LAUNCH, SMALL MID RANGE POWER AND DIES ON TOP END POWER, I HAVE FUEL PRESSURE SET AT 55 PSI, BASE TIMING AT 14 DEGREES, WITH THE 36LB INJECTORS, CAN ANYONE HELP ME ON THIS ONE

You have 14* timing with no detonation? Wow, thats good. Wish, I could help yeah but I cant think of anything right now. I can't make the 10th, its my brother-inlaws b-day. That sucks. Let me know how you do if you go.

------------------
Laurence Weiler
NLOC #339
13.40 @ 102.88MPH
13.35 @ 97.77MPH
ff2b3ccb.jpg

Rich,
Find out the time that they are open and I mite be able to make it out with you the # to ATCO is 1-856-753-9604 if that does not work then try the office # 856-768-2167.

later

------------------
Justin DiPalma
NLOC # 555
Black 94 #437
14.762 @ 90.71 MPH
14* Timing ASP Pulleys

Sounds like it might be either getting way too much fuel or it's starving for it(on the top end).Did you get a computer chip calibrated to work w/ those 36# injectors? Might be timing if you have a timing retard unit on it (msd or something) and it's pulling out alot of timing. I admit I'm no mechanic,but I have messed around w/ a supercharger/turbo or two. I am just guessing as I don't know much 'bout your truck.Did you try turning the FP down,like to about 40psi to see how it runs?
How much boost are you running?
I put a BBK Instacharger on my '93 Cobra a couple years back.Stock motor,6-7 psi boost and full exhaust.Stock inj.'s w/ 190L fuel pump and fuel management unit.Set base timing at 10 and FP at 40psi.It ran great.Fine tuned it from there.If your L is basically stock and you are'nt running high boost,those 36#'ers might be too much.Like I said,I'm no expert,just trying to help.
------------------
Mike Hague
BLK'99
13.36@102.26

[This message has been edited by Hamrhead (edited 12-08-2000).]

RUNNING 10 PSI, ILL SET TIMING BACK TO 10 BASE, WHERE SHOULD MY BOOST RETARD KNOB BE ON ITS AN MSD 1 THRU 3, MY A/F GUAGE SAYS I HAVE A GOOD MIXTURE, DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO, SO WHO IS ALL GOING TO THE TRACK, IF NO ONE IS GONNA GO WELL SET A DIFFERENT DATE, LATER RICH

With 10 psi I'd set the MSD retard on 3 and start dialing it back 'til you get detonation,but that can be real difficult to hear sometimes.I was running 6-7 psi on my Cobra and never even hooked up the retard knob on my MSD,did'nt need it.I also would try turning down the fuel pressure and see if the air/fuel gauge changes at WOT.It should run a little richbut not too much.I assume it idles o.k. 55psi base FP sounds awful high to me especially w/ 36# inj.'s.Did your S/C come with a fuel management unit to raise FP under boost,or is your fuel curve controlled by a chip?
Is your motor basically stock other than S/C?
Did you do any other mods to the truck at the same time you installed the S/C?
When I put my blower on my Cobra,that's all I did.I mean,a couple weeks before that I installed the msd and fuel pump.Then I drove it some to make sure everything was right.Then I installed my S/C.My exhaust system had already been on the car for some time.I only performed one mod at a time,then made sure the car ran right,so that if there was a problem it would be easier to isolate.
Adjust your fuel pressure and drive it a little.Then check your spark plugs to see if it's too rich.Oh,while you're driving it,get on it w/ the retard set a 3,then turn it back to 1 and try again to see if it makes any difference.Just be ready if it starts knocking.Maybe even unplug the retard knob from the MSD unit to see if anything changes.Did you already have those big inj's prior to the S/C?I forgot to say,My Cobra ran the stock 24# inj's w/ a fuel management unit,base FP was around 40psi.I think you might be getting too much fuel,check those spark plugs! I was running 12.8's@110mph+ in this kind of cold weather,so the car was making some power.It had the stock 3.08 gears and stock wheels/tires too.That's why the ET's were'nt so great,but the MPH shows what kind of power it was making.

------------------
Mike Hague
BLK'99
13.36@102.26

[This message has been edited by Hamrhead (edited 12-08-2000).]

Rich, I'm with Mike, try lowering the fuel pressure.

------------------
Laurence Weiler
NLOC #339
13.40 @ 102.88MPH
13.35 @ 97.77MPH
ff2b3ccb.jpg

OK I TOOK IT OUT TONITE AFTER CHANGING THE TIMING BACK TO 10 BASE. ITS FEELS ALOT FASTER NOW,I THINK IT STILL CAN BE FASTER, I RACED A FOX BODY MUSTANG LOOKED LIKE HE HAD SOME WORK DONE TO IT A BEAT HIM KINDA BAD AT LIKE 35 MPH. I WILL TRY TO LOWER FP AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS, THNAKS RICH

Nice kill, I hate those pesky stangs from time to time! Sounds good Rich. Got me itching to do a next mod.

------------------
Laurence Weiler
NLOC #339
13.40 @ 102.88MPH
13.35 @ 97.77MPH
ff2b3ccb.jpg

Rich,
If it feels better now,probably the best thing you can do is go to Atco tomorrow and try to tune it.Mess around with the fuel pressure each round to see what the truck likes.The closer you get the fuel to where the truck runs its best the higher your trap speed will be, generally speaking. If you can get enough runs in tomorrow you should be able to dial it in pretty good and 'change in weather' won't be too much of a factor.Try running it at the FP you have now,then turn it up or down 3-5 psi for the next run etc.Compare Mph and seat of the pants feel.Write the FP used on each timeslip so you don't forget.Hopefully,you'll get it running even better!Good luck.
Larry,you 'hate' mustangs? Ouch. At leats they're Fords. I kinda like my 'stang AND my Lightning.
------------------
Mike Hague
BLK'99 & '95 Cobra R
13.36@102.26

[This message has been edited by Hamrhead (edited 12-09-2000).]

OK I WILL DO THAT WITH THE FP, THNAKS GUYS, SO LETS RECAP, WHOS IS GOING TOMORROW, IF NO ONE WE'LL SET ANOTHER DATE, THANKS RICH

sorry to much to do tomorrow. Try next sunday. Or friday.

------------------
Justin DiPalma
NLOC # 555
Black 94 #437
14.762 @ 90.71 MPH
14* Timing ASP Pulleys

Mike, I like mustangs just fine, especially the older ones! Its just that from time to time you run into those guys that think they have the best thing on earth and don't give a rats a** about a truck. Gets on my nerves.

------------------
Laurence Weiler
NLOC #339
13.40 @ 102.88MPH
13.35 @ 97.77MPH
ff2b3ccb.jpg

Back