death wobble#2

1stLightning

I work for a Linc/merc dealer.and had most of the mechanics looked at my truck (93 Lightning) all but one told me the steering linkage was not bad enough to cause wobble. Diagnosis always seemed to be "bad shocks" or maybe "bushings" .One older mechanic said "With it shaking between 70 and 72mph and also developing a wobble at any speed when applying the brakes and turning right, the problem was slack (wear) in the tie-rod ends and center link. I had trouble believeing that so I took the advise of the other mechanics and replaced the shocks, radius arm bushings and frt. tires. It took only about 20 miles to find out I had not cured the problem. Now it was time to get serious and spend the money for all of the linkage between the spindles,(tie-rod ends and centerlink). My Lightning has now 116,000 miles on it and now there is nothing I can do to make it wobble. one more small thought, even replacing the frt tires didn't stop the "out-of-balance" tire feel at 70 to 72mph. Now it is gone.....I watched the mechanics inspect my frt end and the play in the frt end was very minor........who would have known...........

No disrespect to "most of the mechanics" - but there's no substitute for long time experiences the older mechanics have - and the knowledges they've acquired from them.

Back