Dear Ford THANK YOU!!! ( F-150 Tremor )

The Tremor should've got a 5.0 with a Roush TVS. Fastest Ecoboob I've seen is 12.70's which is not even close to a boosted 5.0...

I have an aging 1 owner 97 Dodge Ram 4x4 136k miles, so I need to consider an upgrade sooner or later, have been seriously considering the Tremor 4x4, they will not have any around here until spring though, don't know if I need two standard cab pickup trucks but- the Tremor drop the graphics, lowered some, & some tires/wheels & I may forget the standard cab thing, think it was the Punisher said in one of these 6cyl threads best power plant combo Ford currently makes & they never break

as with any new model year body change the special trucks either get axed or delayed...just as the Shelby is never released the same year the mustang changes body styles....

both the tremor and raptor are discontinued indefinitely as of 2015.....doesn't bother me a bit...the 15 is fugggly!

The Tremor should've got a 5.0 with a Roush TVS. Fastest Ecoboob I've seen is 12.70's which is not even close to a boosted 5.0...

please keep in mind that those mid 12s are accomplished with a v6 engine, an exhaust upgrade and.......................plugging your flash device into the obd port....

only the surface has been scratched in the potential of these engines

I have an aging 1 owner 97 Dodge Ram 4x4 136k miles, so I need to consider an upgrade sooner or later, have been seriously considering the Tremor 4x4, they will not have any around here until spring though, don't know if I need two standard cab pickup trucks but- the Tremor drop the graphics, lowered some, & some tires/wheels & I may forget the standard cab thing, think it was the Punisher said in one of these 6cyl threads best power plant combo Ford currently makes & they never break

Never say never, numerous EB's have seen shop time for overheating and loss of power. In fact, I believe there is currently a Class Action Law Suit for Taurus and Edge EB's.

Nothing lasts forever, and NO Man Made product is failure proof.

I hope the EB does well for Ford, I just feel it can be used in other vehicles, and not a full size pickup. Edelbrock makes an E-Force SC for the 5.0L F150 that puts 421 HP/422 LBS TRQ to the rear wheels. Sounds pretty darn quick to me, especially in a Reg Cab Short Bed.

Paul, I hope you will post some pics when your TREMOR arrives.

James

please keep in mind that those mid 12s are accomplished with a v6 engine, an exhaust upgrade and.......................plugging your flash device into the obd port....

only the surface has been scratched in the potential of these engines

I agree but they will NEVER accomplish what a boosted 5.0 has! Even in an F-150... I know of a supercrew 4x4 5.0 with a Magnuson s/c and exhaust that runs 12.0's @ 115. Plenty left in that combo as well.

I agree but they will NEVER accomplish what a boosted 5.0 has! Even in an F-150... I know of a supercrew 4x4 5.0 with a Magnuson s/c and exhaust that runs 12.0's @ 115. Plenty left in that combo as well.

Of course not! It's a V6 vs V8.

It's like saying the grand national ain't got squat on a blown 454. Doesn't mean the GN ain't awesome for what it is.

Of course not! It's a V6 vs V8.

It's like saying the grand national ain't got squat on a blown 454. Doesn't mean the GN ain't awesome for what it is.

yeah im not interested in splitting hairs on the 5.0 vs eco thing......theres plenty of other forums already doing that. I will say one thing...sneeze on a 5.0 piston the wrong way byby compression.....no room for error on that engine...and ford knows it.

Primarily why Ford issued a TSB aimed at 5.0 mustang and f150 owners to not so much as change an air freshener. 1st TSB ever aimed at the consumer about modifying a vehicle.

It is also a matter of a factory PCM that is able to adjust fuel for boost. Just like when you compared a Gen 2 lightning versus a Gen 1 lightning.

Any time you add a turbocharger or supercharger to a computer that cannot see a positive map pressure is a lot harder to tune then having a vehicle that already is able to read positive map and just turning up the boost.

Now if you told me they offered that truck with a eco-boost 5.0 now were talking. The motor would be able to handle boost from the factory (better rods and pistons), and the factory computer would already be set up to add fuel as the boost goes up.

But, that isn't an option. So for me if I was going to buy one over the other it would be the TwinTurbo V6

Hmmm??? I can see Ford not wanting to warranty damage done by a hack tuner. I agree 100%! BUT, Ford sales a Performance Tuner and K&N Filter combo for the 2011-2014 Mustang GT and eligible for warranty when installed by dealer. Ford also sales a 525HP and 624HP Supercharger for the GT, so I call nonsense on the TSB. If that were true, Ford would not sell them, and Ford would not offer a 12 month - 12,000 mile warranty when installed by a Ford dealer.

Paul, I would like to see pics of your TREMOR when it arrives.

James

Hmmm??? I can see Ford not wanting to warranty damage done by a hack tuner. I agree 100%! BUT, Ford sales a Performance Tuner and K&N Filter combo for the 2011-2014 Mustang GT and eligible for warranty when installed by dealer. Ford also sales a 525HP and 624HP Supercharger for the GT, so I call nonsense on the TSB. If that were true, Ford would not sell them, and Ford would not offer a 12 month - 12,000 mile warranty when installed by a Ford dealer.

Paul, I would like to see pics of your TREMOR when it arrives.

James

james the tsb is not nonsense...it simply states that if a 5.0 shows up with any aftermarket pcm flash, or power adder mods, PLUS piston damage, they will not warranty it......the ford motorsport power adders come with a flash device or another pcm with the proper tunes in them...from ford.

some engines are more forgiving to detonation and "on the edge" a/f ratios than others and it doesn't seem the 5.0 is one of them

heres the tsb:

FORD: 2011-2012 Mustang
2011 F-150

ISSUE:
Some 2011 F-150 and 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with 5.0L engine may have unauthorized modifications to the powertrain hardware and/or calibration which may result in exceeding component design limits. Such modifications could cause damage to the powertrain and/or void the factory powertrain warranty.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Guidelines.

SERVICE GUIDELINES

Inform owners that the current 5.0L calibrations adjust fuel and spark settings for maximum performance with production hardware, while protecting the engine over a wide range of operating conditions. This includes a knock sensor calibration enabling optimized performance based on fuel grade usage see Owner's Guide for details. Aftermarket hardware and calibrations risk damage to the engine.

Unauthorized calibration modifications may or may not be detectable using standard tools Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS), Portable Diagnostic Software (PDS), NGS+ VCM. Changes can be made to the calibration and flashed to the powertrain control module (PCM) through the on-board diagnostics (OBD) port. Physical modifications to the hardware may or may not be present. If aftermarket power/torque-increasing modifications are suspected, care should be taken to record and store the following items: Permanent diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), pending DTCs, freeze frame data, mode 6 and mode 9 data. The data should be printed and attached to the repair order for later reference.

The DTCs, freeze frame data, mode 6 and 9 data can be obtained by using the IDS, PDS or NGS+VCM under tool box selection. The powertrain tab will provide the OBD test modes tab and mode 6 and 9 data selection after the vehicle has been identified.

Attempting to increase the engine output via recalibrating the PCM may result in poor drivability, DTCs, or component failures. A partial list of calibration induced component failures is given below:

Excessive Cylinder Pressure And Temperature

Piston damage
Spark over-advanced (knock-induced damage)
Insufficient enrichment
Catalyst damage
Increased RPM Limit/Overspeed

Piston damage
Connecting rod damage
Oil pump damage
Catalyst damage
Clutch damage
Knock Sensor Calibration Changes

Piston and/or ring damage due to improper knock control
Hardware Modifications:

The following list contains items that are frequently modified in an effort to increase the engines torque/power output. Modifying these items may, or may not improve the performance, but can lead to drivability issues, DTCs and possibly component failures:

Air induction system (air box, air filter, zip tube)
Super chargers
Nitrous oxide systems
Throttle bodies
Exhaust air path/system
Review Engine Damage:

Common failures associated with unauthorized modifications have included:

DTCs present indicating cylinder misfires (P0300 - P0308)
Cylinder/piston damage resulting in a misfire, low compression, noise
Unusual Clutch wear/damage
Piston damage - light knock (Figure 1)
Piston damage - heavy knock (Figure 2)

Last edited:
Back