custom ground cam specs....advice

When I start the truck, I noticed my seatbelt light tells me my airbag isn't working right and the truck seems to idle high, when I turn it off and back on again the light won't flash and idle goes to normal.

Does anyone know if the airbag being bad causes any kind of running issues? I'd be pissed if all this time my idle issues were do to that airbag sensor.

Changing the rocker ratio won't change your overlap since it doesn't change the seat timing of the cam.

Have you considered using an adjustable IAC bypass plate instead drilling holes in your TB plates?

Never heard of an adjustable plate. But I switched it to mass air this weekend and got it to run pretty good. Got my baumanator working like it's supposed to with all my shift points and line pressure. And I got the idle pretty darn close but I haven't adjusted TPS or anything like that yet. It's an a9p with a 76mm c&l and 24# ers. IST stupid expensive kit I bought and ran years ago

Mass air is definitely a good cure for trying to make any kind of non-stock cam happy with the speed density!

Never heard of an adjustable plate. But I switched it to mass air this weekend and got it to run pretty good. Got my baumanator working like it's supposed to with all my shift points and line pressure. And I got the idle pretty darn close but I haven't adjusted TPS or anything like that yet. It's an a9p with a 76mm c&l and 24# ers. IST stupid expensive kit I bought and ran years ago

That's usually the best fix. Mass air cures a lot of ailments. Back in the 80s Ford had idle issues with the Mustang, so they issued a TSB to fix it that included installation of a plate that goes under the IAC that allows you to adjust the amount of base idle air without messing with the throttle plates. People eventually started using these on cammed cars to make them idle better and you can get them from several places.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9939A/1986...p-8XDZvpOEN8-ZR1dDAz5nCl136Q6g5xoCE4MQAvD_BwE

Omg, learn something every day, thanks very much. Ive often thought I could get idle fixed if I could mod the iac, just never tempted it. When i get idle right, it dies in gear, if i ramp things up so ir won't die, it slams into gear. I've even lowered line pressure via the baumanator and still slams in gear but won't kill the engine. And base idle even with mass air still does the same thing. Meaning I've got the same issue with mass air as i did with speed density, and for the record, the 112 deg cam with a lot of overlap ran speed density pretty well as maf, minus the idle and....... Maf is "slightly" better especially under 2500rpm where I need it since its a heavy 4x4. I was getting to 65 with under 1/4 throttle and under 2k rpm, speed density was at least 1/4-1/2 to achieve the same.

Last edited:
That's usually the best fix. Mass air cures a lot of ailments. Back in the 80s Ford had idle issues with the Mustang, so they issued a TSB to fix it that included installation of a plate that goes under the IAC that allows you to adjust the amount of base idle air without messing with the throttle plates. People eventually started using these on cammed cars to make them idle better and you can get them from several places.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9939A/1986...p-8XDZvpOEN8-ZR1dDAz5nCl136Q6g5xoCE4MQAvD_BwE
Anyone have a Ford part number for this? I need one on my 88 Bronco.

Anyone have a Ford part number for this? I need one on my 88 Bronco.
Ford never made the adjustment plate (that I know of) -- strictly aftermarket. The gasket footprint is the same for 80s-90s IAC valves, so the LMR part should work on your 88 Bronco.

Back