Crank or snout?

J

JeffsLightning

Which pulley is easiest to put on? Also do they give about 2 psi increase? Thansk Jeff

Crank pulley is easiest, and I've been talking with a company will be producing a very nice piece that will be **14** lbs LIGHTER than the stock pulley. Now that is a pretty significant reduction in rotational inertia.

They're claiming a 38 hp and 60 lb-ft of torque dynoed improvement with their pulley and chip.

They also claim 3.5 lbs more boost.

Later!
Jeff S.

Cool Jeff....I'm swaying back and forth weather to the do the crank pulley or the blower one. Thanks

Jeff S:

Are you talking with Downs ford?? on the crank pulley. This is for the 2nd gen,right?

I have a Downs on order,but if there is someone else that is making a crank pulley I would really like to know
Thanks Kevin

How hard is it to put the crank pulley on? Put the snout pulley on about a month ago. It was not difficult, just hard pulling and pushing the pulley off and on. I have the Downs crank pulley on order and was just wondering the time involved.

Jerrod
99.5 White Lightning
snuglid, bed liner, SHM mass air/conical filter, ASP pulley

Here's the exact text of the first message I received from the company...

Oversized crankshaft pulley. An already impressive truck now becomes even more powerful.

With the installation of a larger crankshaft pulley, the supercharger boost pressure is raised by 3 1/2 psi. This increase in boost will give you an additional 20 horsepower and 50 lb-ft torque. Installs in less than 2 hours. This pulley weighs 13 pounds lighter than the stock pulley. That's 42
pounds of moving weight dropped. If you already have a Superchip installed, you must have it reprogrammed. The pulley will not work well with the standard Superchip
program. Scheduled to become available February 7, 2000.

After much testing and consulting with Ford engineers, we came to the conclusion that the supercharger pulley that some companies offer is a dangerous option. We have found that it takes about a 5 ton press to
remove and install a new supercharger pulley. If the customer even manages to install a new supercharger pulley, the stress put on the supercharger shaft is just too much. In just about every case that I
have heard of, this has caused the the superchargers to fail. This is a very costly mistake.

Superchip Flip Chip for Lightning 25
HP (by itself)*

Lightning crank pulley 20 HP (by
itself)*

Custom programming for chip to work with pulley** 38 HP / 60 lb-ft
torque (total)

If you have any questions about this pulley, please feel free to give me a call or email. We are located:
PDQ Performance Warehouse
3665 S. Orlando Dr.
Sanford, FL 32773
888-320-5644

Now please keep in mind that the above is all promotional hype THAT I DIDN'T ORIGINATE so take some of it with a grain of salt. Also, I'm trying to convince them to become a NLOC discounter, so maybe wait a little while to place your order.

I do like the idea of a LIGHTER crank pulley. Kinda like a lightened flywheel.

Later!
Jeff S.

Hey Guys,
99SVT, I have a undersized pulley ordered with the pulley puller. Did you see much improvement after you changed the blower pulley? Did you feel you needed to reprogram your chip?
My stuff should be here next week, but I will send it all back and order the Downs kit if ya'll think that is the best way to go. God knows I don't wish to damage the blower.
I thought I was cutting a fat hog by ordering the blower pulley, somthing I could change without much trouble.

Hey Jeff, thanks for all your help.
Alvin

hotdog I think your truck looks real good. It is not your ordinary Lightning. I bet it gets lots of attention. The other people are just jealous.
93 red.

Hotdog,
I recieved 2lbs of additional boost w/the snout pulley. I do not think it takes a 5 ton press to remove the pulley. It takes some elbow grease, but 5 tons, get real. It took about an hour to put on. I think it was worth it.
Jerrod

Hotdog,
I took the chip out before I got the pulley. Was having trouble with detonation right before shifting. Going to find someone local (Houston) who has a dyno and does custom chips and have one made.

99SVT,
Thanks for your help. If you find someone let me know and I will come up and do the same.
Does anyone know where I can get a axle girdle or something besides a chromed cover for the 9.75 rear end? How about for the transmission?
I put a set of 2" drop hangers on the truck this weekend. It's a real easy job and looks great(but then I have a hotdog truck). The truck sit nearly level and my short legs find it easier to get in and out.
Thanks again 99SVT,
Alvin

Hotdog:

I've been looking for an aluminum girdle or chrome cover also. I haven't seen or heard of anyone building one. I was thinking of sending off factory cover to have it chromed. This seems to be about the only option at this time. I seriously doubt these big 9.75 diffs need a girdle, but it would look cool. As far as chrome tranny pan, it seem to be about the same. You can get a finned aluminum pan from Performance Automatic also Art Carr. I believe they are not listed under 4R100, but are under E4OD. Automatics are kinda my side business. I do not care for the big aftermarket aluminum pans. Under hard cornering, hard excelleration, they seem to cavitate the pump. There's no baffeling in these pans, and most of them don't have filter extensions to get the filter down lower in the pan. This is just my experience in the past. If you'd like a deep pan with drain plug, go directly to Ford and order one from a 1999 F-250/350 4x4 with the powerstroke. This tranny pan has a 1 quart extra capacity and has a special filter for it and special contours to the pan itself. This is what I've put on my L. It's only about $25. Good guy price. Kevin

Does the crank pulley overdrive the alternator and other accessories?

Nathan, since the blower belt is separate from the rest of the accessories, the accessory drive ratio wouldn't have to be modified at all.

Later!
Jeff S.

Hey All:

I called PDQ today, and they are not going to sell a pulley for the L's. Here's what I was told. "The guy who's building the pulley sells to Down's and was going to sell to PDQ, so they are both the same pulley. The problem is, PDQ was going to order a batch of 1000 but his cost was only $20 less than what Down's sells them for ($299). So PDQ backed out of the deal--no money in it for them" Down's must have ordered a HUGE amount or is not making any real profit. I was told the "guy" who builds them is kind of like Sal, he works for Ford and has done a lot of testing with the pulley and everything seems to be working fine. PDQ had one (sold it before I called), and he said it was of extremely good quality and looked like a very good piece and did not have anything bad to say--just that there was no money in it for him as a businessman.

Hotdog, are you the guy with the red lightning with 2 yellow stripes?

Hey Jigawat,
I found some really nice covers for the trans. and the rear end. My rear end cover should be in mid week. The stuff is high but looks like it will be worth it. I'm headed for the dyno in the morning so I will post again tomorrow night.
Look at www.mag-hytec.com
Jerry is the man I talked with and he told me the larger 10.5 would fit. I told him I was still unsure and Jerry said he would be happy to take it back if it did not fit or I did not like it.(first rate Guy)
Now, what oil do I put back into the rear end and what do you think about the trans. cover?
The 4.10 gears go in when the cover get here.
Alvin

Hi Silverlightning,
Yup, that's my truck and I love it, Hotdog look and all. My Buds on the F150online post informed me my truck looked like a hotdog with mustard on it. Man, that cracked me up. I told everyone at work, because I already take a lot of flak about painting on a brand new truck. Everyone at work had a great day laughing about the hotdog truck. I took the name Hotdog in repect of my fellow lightning owners taste and to always remenber that just because you think your children are does not make it so.
Alvin

HOTDOG:

Save old gear oil,put it back in. After you test the truck(no gear whine)drive it for a 100/150 miles. If you see no leak's or hear no problems, then drain and clean (check fill plug and abs sensor)use a good synthetic oil. I used Richmond 75w-140, just what I did anyway.

Back