Couple of Predator questions

Mook

Disturbed L
1) With the custom tunes, are those tunes using the 4 banks? I ask because I know the new Revolution software/chips have access to 4 banks but does the Predator?

2) Does the Predator only make a difference at WOT? If so, would a custom tune be able to work from idle to redline?

3) I read on another website that "seasonal tunes" are not needed if the tuner had a clue about what they are doing. The tuner should be able to make the tune safe for all seasons while still making good power. I just wanted to get some input on those statements.

I really want to buy the Predator soon. The SCT software also interest me but I think the Predator offers more for the money if it can be used to access all 4 banks, doesn't require a laptop, and it can datalog.

I doubt I will ever be "tuning" my own vehicle much more than making minor adjustments. I just want to get the best bang for my buck.;w

Mook

Mook said:
1) With the custom tunes, are those tunes using the 4 banks? I ask because I know the new Revolution software/chips have access to 4 banks but does the Predator?

Yes sir, the Predator reflashes the entire pcm, therefore the tuning does program the entire pcm, not just 1 area. The same software that programs the black chips is also the same software that programs the Predator; ChipMaster-Revolution.

2) Does the Predator only make a difference at WOT? If so, would a custom tune be able to work from idle to redline?

This is dictated by the programming. The defaulted including tuning of the Predator does affect the majority of all rpms and throttle position. Any custom tuning that I do does mainly affect all throttle positions and rpms, at the various loads. There are always some areas in load that you do not necessarily need to adjust, and may not be healthy to the vehicle if you do such.

You may be misinterpreting the "end-user" adjustments in that they only give you, the end-user, ability to adjust timing at the WOT portion of the timing curve, however the tuning on the Predator does adjust for part throttle as well. Same on the fuel, you as an end-user are only able to adjust for at WOT. In reality, there isn't much fuel tuning that's needing to be done at part throttle with the majority of the vehicles out there, as this is closed loop, and the adaptive strategy of the pcm mainly dictates this area, depending.

3) I read on another website that "seasonal tunes" are not needed if the tuner had a clue about what they are doing. The tuner should be able to make the tune safe for all seasons while still making good power. I just wanted to get some input on those statements.

Well, that is true to a point, but this depends on the needs/wants of the end-user, as well as the tuner. When making the majority of my tunes, I don't believe in making 1 file for summer, and another for winter, unless the customer specifically asks for such. They need to be fully aware that these types of files are normally made with aggression in mind, such as a street tune and strip only tune, and can usually be close or at the max safe limit of the vehicle. All in all, there is nothing wrong with a file that is safe, yet powerful, which affords you safety year long. With the end-user settings on the Predator, you can then give yourself more/less timing/fuel at WOT if you desire.

I really want to buy the Predator soon. The SCT software also interest me but I think the Predator offers more for the money if it can be used to access all 4 banks, doesn't require a laptop, and it can datalog.

I agree wholeheartedly in your thinking! There isn't any other tool that has the capabilities of the Predator, and it is the standard for the industry. It will only get better from here, since the tool has unlimited potential with future upgrades and offers!

Very Sincerely...

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers and input RWTD. That pretty much erased any worries/concerns that I had about the Predator. Since I don't want to live on the ragged edge of power vs. safety I won't worry about the seasonal tunes. I'll just get a tune that leaves plenty of safety room for weather changes. Good to know that it works with all 4 banks too.

Looks like a Predator is in my near future :db: .

Mook

Mook said:
Thanks for the answers and input RWTD. That pretty much erased any worries/concerns that I had about the Predator.

Mook, you're quite welcome, sir. Please let me know when I can be of any assistance for you.

Sincerely...

Back