Continued problems..

Trav4011

James and I never really nailed down the random lean condition that we kept running into.. The truck went lean again the other day.. and I've decided to tear into it this weekend.

Problems as of now..

Random lean condition at WOT.. usually in 3rd gear
Lean spike at throttle tip in has returned.. (was a problem before tuning)
Problematic warm startup.. (Sometimes won't start without giving it some throttle input)

I'm going to put the battery back up front this weekend, and just move my reservoir elsewhere.. I also plan to pull the blower and make sure that I don't have a vacuum leak from the nipple on the lower. I'll probably just put a steel/brass plug in while I'm down there. I'm also going to pull the injectors out of the rails, and make sure there's no trash sitting in the tops of them.

This is really annoying though.. I hate not knowing what's wrong.. :bm:

Travis

I'm sure you'll get it man! Intermittent problems are the worst. Keep us posted. I'm following these kinds of problems closely as I prepare my new fuel system.:eek:ldtu:

As for the warm/hot starting issues: Open the setscrew for the throttle blad 1/2-1 full turn and reset the TPS, this trick is pretty much mandatory for bigger cams/heads for it to startup and run every time. I spent a LOT of time trying to tune around it and I simply couldn't get it done any other way.

An intermittent lean condition is not a vacuum leak. You have an electrical problem. It may be coil, plugs or fuel system related. Have you datalogged during runs to see what's happening? It could be battery related but again it wouldn't be intermittant IMO. Take a look on the passenger's side front wheel well and see if your header has been contacting the wiring harness and to make sure the ground is secure on top of the frame rail. During hard acceleration the engine torques over and aftermarket headers can make contact with the wires.

Good advice.. thanks :)

The only reason that I thought of a vacuum leak was the lean spike on tip-in.. We had tuned it out.. and it was completely gone. Now, it's back again.

Come to think of it.. I remember the wires being close to the passenger side header. I wrapped them in thermal barrier/tape, but, I'll check it out for sure.

Travis

I ran into the lean at tip in and fixed it (as well as another local Lightning that developed the same issure after mine) by just cutting the wires on the fuel pump resistor--mounted on the back side of the front bumber-- and soldering them together so the pumps run at fulll voltage continuously.

Back