Considering going turbo

Two important questions need to be answered. Are you sticking with the stock block and what fuel do you plan on using. 10 to 1 compression is fine if your running E85. Stock block will only handle 600-700 rwhp reliably. Smallest turbo I would use would be a 76 with bigger exhaust housing. An 80-88mm would be a little more suited on a 408. Hey, but what do I know.....:D

Man, if only there was an awesome fully girdled stock block 10:1 (depending on heads) 410w that could handle 800+ hp for sale :)

lightning45_zps69d93235.jpg

Went with twin 38mm tials and a jgs BOV
ebay intercooler.

the waste gates dump just outside the frame rail before the front tire

Last edited:
I want to mount mine on that side. Really would like to retain A/C, don't mind ditching the p/s. Will prolly have to have some AC lines made.

I had both w/g and bov in 50mm size. Turbosmart gate and Tial Bov. Do not cheap out on these parts especially the gate. A cheap Chinese gate and a stock block could very well mean you own a puzzle. My gate was open dumped. It was loud, but not obnoxious and I kind of liked it. Scared the bejezzus out of a few people on the street.

How loud is the wastegate dumps?

I don't really notice them over the exhaust.
The only time I could actually hear them is when my distributor slipped and was 12* retarded

how loud they are probably has to do a lot with back pressure and dump tube length.
With that 1.32 ar housing I cant imagine Its choked down much, and my dump tubes are probably less than a foot long

Great example Adam. Try to get as close to that as possible, or at least 120*. Close to the turbo as you can too.

Were you running out of fear with the 4:10's? I know you're putting a new combo together. It seems to me that these turbos like a taller gear.

I'm also running 4.10's. Brian is accurate which traction. Although I think with my converter and the higher stall it's not as bad. I'm going to wait to see what the twins feel like then I'll make a decision whether to change.

Were you running out of fear with the 4:10's? I know you're putting a new combo together. It seems to me that these turbos like a taller gear.

Never ran it at the track w/the 4.10s, wish I did, I think it might have dipped into the 11s. I switched to the 3.73s just because of lack of traction on the street.

Back