comparing the new lightning with a gas GMC

FlatOut

Paid NLOC Member
I Support the NLOC
I skimmed the video but was surely disappointed with the outcome if this is our future. but on another note that Chevy is super disappointing in my opinion. It averages like 9 MPG with that little camper. I know its tall and bucks some wind but thats not impressive at all.

That is awfully bad mileage. My '95 would get ~12 mpg at 70 mph towing the big block truck. Probably 7000 lbs with the trailer and gear, so around the same as they're towing, perhaps a bit better aerodynamics profile, but not nearly as much tech or ICE advancement.

I skimmed the video but was surely disappointed with the outcome if this is our future. but on another note that Chevy is super disappointing in my opinion. It averages like 9 MPG with that little camper. I know its tall and bucks some wind but thats not impressive at all.

Certainly shows that the Lightning is not really suited towards towing, or towing more than around town. I think most folks buying them now use it more like a car anyway. Battery tech is getting better, will be interesting to see what we have for range in a year or two.

I watched that video last week too. That was horrendous. I could see the personal benefits to an electric truck but it just can't do truck stuff yet. Would never buy an electric vehicle thinking it was better for the environment because that's a load of crap. I honestly think hydrogen would be the prevailing technology eventually... ICE potential with good emissions.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I still think it's sad the hybrid F-150 is so overlooked because of all the buzz about the Lightning. It's the best of both worlds.

I still think it's sad the hybrid F-150 is so overlooked because of all the buzz about the Lightning. It's the best of both worlds.

From the number of them I see (hear, or don't hear, really) on job sites, I bet they're selling incredibly well.

I got one of the Powerboost F-150 Crewcabs given to me for work earlier this year. I came from a 2.7L Ecoboost extended cab. I used to get about 18.5mpg average driving around in “sport” mode or “normal” mode… driving was so much better in “sport” with no real difference in mileage.

I’m now getting 21.5-22mpg in “normal” and 18.5 in “sport” with the Powerboost. That extra mileage is for sure all eco mode driving as I average about 100 miles extra per tank. It has great power, but I haven’t had an opportunity towing with it yet. It really is the best of both worlds… I don’t see EV trucks ever getting to the range of this or diesel trucks while towing. Let’s face it though… if you’re towing mileage shouldn’t be your first concern IMHO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got one of the Powerboost F-150 Crewcabs given to me for work earlier this year. I came from a 2.7L Ecoboost extended cab. I used to get about 18.5mpg average driving around in “sport” mode or “normal” mode… driving was so much better in “sport” with no real difference in mileage.

I’m now getting 21.5-22mpg in “normal” and 18.5 in “sport” with the Powerboost. That extra mileage is for sure all eco mode driving as I average about 100 miles extra per tank. It has great power, but I haven’t had an opportunity towing with it yet. It really is the best of both worlds… I don’t see EV trucks ever getting to the range of this or diesel trucks while towing. Let’s face it though… if you’re towing mileage shouldn’t be your first concern IMHO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not necessarily mileage but range sure is important. Think EV trucks will be another decade to get near that level.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I towed a couple of loads from Indy to Raleigh behind my former CC 5.4 truck, and a couple behind an AWD 3.5 Ecoboost Flex. While obviously the Flex was limited in terms of the chassis, it definitely didn't lack in towing performance at all. I was very impressed.

I've used my good friends 2.7 ecoboost f150 to tow a few cars for him. (hes not too comfortable towing thru tight areas) and im very impressed what that little 2.7 can do. and with a 6k lb(ish) trailer it still got like 14-15 mpg, that was an open deck not a big billboard front camper like they did in this test.

My uncle gets 11-12 mpg towing his 44ft enclosed race trailer at 16k lbs with his f250 diesel. There is not replacement for diesel towing.

Back