Cloudy/Yellowed Plastic Headlight Resto Tip

bumperquip

Depending on the severity of the deterioration of your headlights I found that a couple of very inexpensive products work very well in cleaning and clearing cloudy and/or yellowed plastic headlights.

Each of these products requires a couple, maybe even three applications but the results I've gotten have been very good.

Try each of these products individually and even in combination to get the results you're happy with.

Brasso. In my particular situation this is the product I've had the best results with. Apply it like polishing compound with a damp micro-fiber cloth. No need to let dry as you are really just wet sanding. Wax your lights when you're done and keep them waxed.

Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. Again, apply it like polishing compound with a damp micro-fiber cloth. No need to let dry as you are really just wet sanding. Wax your lights when you're done and keep them waxed.
31ZlU6034SL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

Weiman Glass Cook Top Cleaner. This stuff is a bit more spendy but it works very well. Apply is in the same manner as the Brasso and the Mother's polish. Wax and keep waxed.

FYI: All of these products work very well on taillights too. I personally like my tails to look like pieces or Jolly Rancher candy (crystal clear, super smooth and blemish free) and these will all do the trick. Like the headlights... wax and keep waxed.

If you go with the cook top cleaner, you may need to follow that up with either the Brasso or with the Mother's. The cook top stuff is a tad more abrasive and although it will nicely clean and clear the plastics, it may (depending on how much pressure is applied) leave the parts a little bit scuffed. With the application of the Brasso or Mother's as the final step, the micro scratches will come out.

Last edited:
I work for an aviation supply company and we sell a great little plastic restoration kit. Basically it is 1500 to 6000 grit wet paper and some polish. However i find it works way better than the automotive headlight products. The hazing is caused by hairline cracks in the plastic itself By using this kit you actually remove the cracks not just cover them. ive used it on several car headlights with amazing results and it lasts..........

Another tip for cleaning yellowed headlamps

Add a few product's to the above list; Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Liquid Wax .

Step one: Apply Ultimate Compound (hand application or DA Polisher with a 3" Polishing Pad) and wipe off with a micro-fiber (MF) towel.
Step two: Same as above, with Ulitimate Polish and wipe off with a MF towel.
Step three: Seal the headlamps with Ultimate Liquid Wax, let set 3-5 minutes and remove with a MF Towel.

It took me all of 15 minutes to perform the above on both headlamps, using my DA Polisher.

Last edited:
Back