Clay Bar

jwlightning

Horsepower addict
Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know that I read around about using a clay bar yesterday morning. After reading, I got motivated to try it, and WOW!!!! Using the bar definetely made my black truck stand out!! It's amazing. I followed up with some NXT wax. I can see why you guys love that. I don't have any pics, but it is smooth as a baby's a**!!! Oh, I used straight back and forth strokes, and I'd have to agree with the believers of that method. NO SWIRLS!!! Great info on the forum guys!!!!:D

The two biggest improvements in auto detailing in the last 20 years are Clay Bar and Microfiber Towels. don't know how I ever got by without them!

Fletch,
Agree with what you said. May I add: the buffer/random orbit polisher, helped me accomplish this for my BLACK '01HDF150 (cannot imagine detailing by hand):
BEFORE:
983swirls.jpg

AFTER:
983DSC01348.JPG

Word of advice to the inexperienced. Practice on the wife's car first. Hot day & clay bar without lubrication can be a disaster! Thank God I found that out on a Dodge!

One of the best products i have ever used smOOOOOOOOOOth .I read a post a month ago and tried it.OMG it took care of things 3 coats of cleaner couldn't.Try it for those who haven't and follow directions on the box you won't reget it.

fqtravlr said:
Word of advice to the inexperienced. Practice on the wife's car first. Hot day & clay bar without lubrication can be a disaster! Thank God I found that out on a Dodge!

I found that out on my 97 black Cobra. :wallbash:

Anyone have a how to or good link for clay barring? I would love to try it.

As far as waxing...I love eagle one nanowax....great results on my last car...no need to wax my L yet.

Also did this for the first time today. Wish I would have done on it my last lightning since it was black. But this new silver for the 04 that I have now looks really nice. Before it didn't reflect much. I really noticed it when I was at the gas station tonight with all the lights on it. Now when I walk away from it I look back alot longer.

I also find when my window is down I brush my fingers and knuckles on the smooth *** paint. Is that normal?

Lightmare said:
Also did this for the first time today. Wish I would have done on it my last lightning since it was black. But this new silver for the 04 that I have now looks really nice. Before it didn't reflect much. I really noticed it when I was at the gas station tonight with all the lights on it. Now when I walk away from it I look back alot longer.

I also find when my window is down I brush my fingers and knuckles on the smooth *** paint. Is that normal?
I do that too. I have on all my cars after waxing

mothers has the clay bar kit and meguires has a kit that is starting to show up in the stores.

adams products and griots has the real deal. the above kits have small bars in them but with ordering online at adams or griots you can pretty much get what you want without the extra stuff that the kits have. you do need the lube though for sure.

with the mothers kits detail spray I use it as recommended for clay bar lube and it does a great job for on the spot detailing.

I use the nxt also and I like it a lot, but a lot of people say that adams products work even better, I don't know yet

I didn't try, but any chance it will remove spots from the glass after I finish the body? My back window has some spots and my girlfriends Honda looks like acid was sprayed on all the windows and side mirrors.

I honestly stopped using the clay bar after doing half my hood with it. I did the other half of the hood with just the supplied polished and you couldn't tell the difference..

I followed the directions to a T.

What exactly does the clay bar do besides "loosen" the top layer of stuff such as bug splatter, bird crap etc..

Maybe the claybar will work on windows? My back window has splats all throughout it and can't seem to make it go away :angry:

Last edited:
Yes...the clay bar will remove a certain amount of waterspots on glass and paint. Clay all your windows...the same gunk that bonds to your paint also bonds to your glass.

If you want to take your black paint up to the next level you need to invest in the Porter Cable Dual Action polisher. It can accomplish things hand waxing cannot even come close too. It is a pretty much foolproof machine and easy to learn how to use. Unlike a rotary that can ruin your paint job if you don't know how to use one.

Visit the Meguiars forum if you want to learn more about getting that "Show Car Shine" Tons of great info there and the Mods really know their stuff!

Meguiar's Online

Check out the forums on Autopia.org. There are huge write-ups and how-to videos on using the PC to detail. That website is awesome!

i'll be claying my silver L again this weekend followed by scratch or color x and then wax. probably do it in two days. you can use a polish after the scratch x depending on vehicle condition. i did clay bar and color x on my old 97 white explorer and it was smooth as silk, followed by color x. i even did all four door jams. didn't do the roof as i never got around to it. explorer was totaled, i think the reason i got close to 9k for it was because of my detail. i paid 11k for it two years prior. AAA :eek:ldtu:

p.s. i've had good experience with Meguaires.

Back