Chips and Tranny com

D

Derek Brown

Has anyone experimented with computer chips or reprogramming the computer. I have been lookng into one from jet and one from hypertech and I don't know wich to get i won't to lower my 0-60 to mid to high 6's. So far i have flowmasters with 2 1/4 in pipe and a k&n air filter (but i want gen 2 air induction). I am also looking into the JET electronic tranny shift kit. It hooks up to a E4ode tranny wich is what i have. What do you think.

------------------
Lightning Has Struck!

Derek: I have the JET® chip on my truck and you can buy it off me for cheap if you like($100). It did give me a performance gain that i could feel but it cannot be recaliberated for modifications at a later time. If i was you i'd go with a chip from Sal that he can custom program for your specific truck.

Derick, My best advice before buying anything for your "L" is to lurk around for awhile and plan carefully. I first joined NLOC and listened around the lightning chats and bulletin boards. It is important to first determine your power level and what you are going to use it for and work up from there. There are a lot of people that own these lightnings and have tried every conceivable power upgrades and cobo's some work well others do not. One of the best benifits of this club is just this. There is a learning curve, and you can learn from other people's mistakes which will save you in heart ache and from the empty wallet syndrome. Another benifit is all the cyber friends you meet and become aquainted with. I would also highly recommend researching the Lightning List serve and archives in the NLOC website. About every possible question that has ever been asked has been answered here. Steve

------------------
94 Crimson.
NLOC member #343
Team Powerdyne, 8psi,bypass
Still waiting for dyno run and 1340

I agree with sstock just plan out everything first.Think what kind of times you are wanting.I would not waste money on something that I could not use later on.Ive got a PA valve body in my truck (149.00)shifts very good and when I modded some more it only felt better.

------------------
Marcus Harrison
95Lightning
TeamPowerdyne

Here's my 2 cents,

Stay with the stock programing as long as possable, If you want to fine tune it get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and play with the timing... The time to go with a chip is when you need bigger injectors,
If you want the tranny to shift hard get a valve body kit... Trango, Level 10, P&A, etc, Dont mess around with the electronic gizmos there a joke!

Good luck!

Dave P

I agree with Dave. On a nearly stock truck you can get just as much performance from manually setting the timing higher and adjusting the fuel pressure.

If you're shooting for higher than "somewhat stock" you'll want to look into the custom programming options like PSP, Chris Johnson, and Swanson offer.

------------------
Later!
Jeff S.
President, NLOC
#74 in '95 - 11.92@115.2
#?? in '00 - 13.68@99.5

Back