.... check engine soon , light

brook

...(2002) Has anyone in the group, ever disconnected the...check engine... light??

If so, how is it done??

... First, I have had a mechanic look to see why, the light would come on. He could not tell me.

So, when the light would come on, (often). I would disconnect the negative side of the battery. That would reset the computer.

It would come on, in about a weeks time, After reset.

I am tired of disconnecting the battery!

... First, I have had a mechanic look to see why, the light would come on. He could not tell me.

So, when the light would come on, (often). I would disconnect the negative side of the battery. That would reset the computer.

It would come on, in about a weeks time, After reset.

I am tired of disconnecting the battery!

There's something wrong, disconnecting the battery just resets the code until the computer runs through the cycle and sets it again. Go to another mechanic!

There's something wrong, disconnecting the battery just resets the code until the computer runs through the cycle and sets it again. Go to another mechanic!

Yup need to pull the code and see why it is setting off the cel.
Heck Auto Zone can read the code and tell you why.

Or just pull the lil light bulb out and drive her til she lets ya know why herself. Course that may mean a more costly repair when she does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As 'Raymond B' and 'SA94Lightning' mentioned, if your 'mechanic' can't pull a simple code and troubleshoot based upon that then you need to avoid that guy like the plague. There's a reason you've got a 'CEL' and disabling the bulb seems like a horrible way to fix it but it's your truck.

For the cheapest, half-assed fix you can put a piece of black electrical tape over where the CEL is...problem solved.

Like you've been told, it will remedy itself one way or the other and, if it were my truck, I'd figure out the cause of it and fix it right.

.... With all that said, I have been dealing with this, for over five years now.

I posted a thread (here) back in 1-9-2016, asking about this...... I did have Auto zone check it out, back then. And they did find, banks 1 and 2 was running lean.

And when I did take it to a mechanic, he could not find any leaks or anything wrong. He said, it could just be in the computer, like many other vehicles

I do not remember, if he change the fuel filter or cleaned the sensor from the MAF housing, deleted the EGR or check the PVC lines. I will check those items again.

My 02 runs good, I am just tired of looking at the...check engine... light.

I mean there’s only so many times it can be repeated, something is wrong, you can choose to continue to ignore it or take it to someone competent. Whoever you used as a mechanic previously is worthless...

My dads 01 4.0 explorer has had the bank 1 bank 2 lean condition codes (171-174 I believe) for like 5 plus years now lol. Someone put it on a smoke machine and I replaced the upper and lower intake and gaskets, all 4 o2’s, fuel filter, MAF sensor, pcv line and valve. Codes are still there and it won’t pass inspection lol. But now I’m 95% sure it’s the fuel pump. One of these days I’ll check pressure at the shraider valve or just throw a pump in as he says it sputters when you drive it somewhere far.

look on youtube and watch some vids about making a simple smoke tester out of pvc plumbing, battery lead clips, wick, wire for heating element, baby oil/clear mineral oil, etc. watch several vids to learn the procedure and get the best ideas. parts can be found on ebay. cost is very low, just add some effort and a little time. i have one and it works great. excellent diagnosis tool. if there's a vacuum leak (a possibility), obvious smoke will be coming out of the leak(s).

My main ride is a 98 Ranger with a V6 that I've owned 21 years and put 165,000 miles on. The CE has been on for years for lean banks 1 and 2. I've replaced every sensor on it at one time or another, new fuel pump, new fuel filters multiple times, checked all the vac hoses. Had a shop replace the intake gaskets. Nothing. Still there. Won't go away. So I finally said **** it and put a piece of black tape over it. Case closed, next case. Runs great! Always has.

I deleted the EGR on my 04 Lightning years ago, and all the paraphernalia on the driver's side of the blower. So I have had that ce on for several years. I know, buy a tuner. Someday I will. For now, it's the black tape method. Runs great, always has.

.... With all that said, I have been dealing with this, for over five years now.

I posted a thread (here) back in 1-9-2016, asking about this...... I did have Auto zone check it out, back then. And they did find, banks 1 and 2 was running lean.

And when I did take it to a mechanic, he could not find any leaks or anything wrong. He said, it could just be in the computer, like many other vehicles

I do not remember, if he change the fuel filter or cleaned the sensor from the MAF housing, deleted the EGR or check the PVC lines. I will check those items again.

My 02 runs good, I am just tired of looking at the...check engine... light.

time to replace the nut that holds the steering wheel...

.....stoffr, How old are you?.. 12.. You're a DUMB ***,

Just to let you know, That nut, holding the steering wheel, has nothing to do with the check-engine light.

.....stoffr, How old are you?.. 12.. You're a DUMB ***,

Just to let you know, That nut, holding the steering wheel, has nothing to do with the check-engine light.

Pretty sure he meant the loose nut that turns the steering wheel (ie YOU) NOT the real nut that holds it on.

b74a93a125dd620031b667d9ef5ff98d.gif

.... sa94Lightning, You're not to bright!

Your telling everyone here, that you know what I was thinking.

You two must be related.......

Note, I have not disconnected the battery, for about a month now. and no.

.... check engine light!!! knock on wood

.... sa94Lightning, You're not to bright!

Your telling everyone here, that you know what I was thinking.

You two must be related.......

Note, I have not disconnected the battery, for about a month now. and no.

.... check engine light!!! knock on wood

Bright enough to know the CEL WILL be back.

You however are the one who aint real bright.

Or you would have
A) diagnosed and fixed the truck properly by pulling codes (not at autozone) and correcting the issue.
B) Found a competent mechanic to do so.

Doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result........

Good luck

Bank 1 and 2 Lean? Is the turkey pan plugged? Easy vac leak to miss if your mechanic or yourself doesn't know where to look. Its prone to failure on the Gen 2's due to location and radiant heat. P0171 and P0174 are the codes I believe. Truck will run fine but if you wanna put tape over the problem i guess that works too 😉

Back