Charging System

XLTbeater

I searched for alternators and all I came up with is two threads on the subject. So I'm going to ask straight out, what are you guys/gals running for an alternator? I read that the stock 1st gen. Lightning alts are 90 amps. I plan on building up a F4TE from a '96 E-250. I'm not sure what the stock alt. is rated for on the van and this is the only site that I'm a member of that deals with Ford trucks. I plan on running an electric fan, probably an upgraded stereo system eventually (just replacing stock speakers and head unit), and possibly an electric water pump if I can justify running one on the street. Thanks for any advice that you can give me:).

XLTbeater

I've got E-Fans, stereo, & a few other electrical upgrades so I'm running a 200A Alt in mine. I think the E-250's had a 130A. 130, would be a nice upgrade from stock. If you go over 130A, upgrade the charge wire.

A stock large-frame 3G (130A) from a V6 Taurus. It's a perfect fit and an easy swap. You'll need a slightly different one for your V8, but make sure it has only 2 holes (not 4) between each pair of ribs on the front of the case.

130A (4.9L)

95A (V8)

Ryan produces a wide range of parts to support this swap, and has an interchange list of donor vehicles on one of his sites:
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/
RJM Injection Tech

Okay! I see you guys do the same swap that the classic Crown Vic guys gotta do. Hmmmmm........that might mean that the 3g swap that I had planned for the car can be swapped over to the F4TE when I get that going. Cool, thanks for the info!!!!:)

XLTbeater

Back