Cat Convertor Temps?

D

Duner

Hey guys, I'm not sure this is in the right forum.....but thought I would give it a try. I am trying to diagnose a problem I'm having with my ride.

A few months ago, I added a cat-back system to my truck. Pretty much as soon as I did this, the truck slowed down. I've been trying to figure out the root cause every since. I could feel the power start to drop off after about 5000 rpm where it used to pull fairly hard to 6500. I used a DRB and checked everything a few weeks ago. The DRB said the truck was running lean at WOT. The DRB also showed a catalytic convertor temp of 1850 at WOT. Since it showed a lean condition (that plus the dyno session), I had the pcm re-programmed to add more fuel. Now I have what appears to be a fuel induced rev-limiter at about 5100 rpm. If I make the engine rev against this "limiter" in say 3rd gear or so, the catalytic convertor temp jumps to 2600 degrees. At just partial throttle, I can get past the "limiter" feeling, but at WOT it stumbles. It really does feel and sound exactly like a rev-limiter.

I'm wondering whether the high temps are the result of too much fuel, which is being burned inside the convertor.....which is causing the high temps.

or

Is the convertor partially plugged, which is causing backpressure and not letting the engine get to the higher rpm levels. I can get the engine to 6500 if I only use 1/2 throttle. If at 6500 you mash the throttle to WOT, it immediately drops back to 5100 and stumbles. At this same time, the engine temps climb dramatically to the 220-230 degree range.

or

Another theory is that maybe I'm actually running out of fuel. I will have to check the fuel pressure tonight and see if it drops at that rpm at WOT. If it's running out of fuel and running lean...I could understand the engine water temp jumping, just not the catalytic convertor temp jumping.

What kind of catalytic convertor temps should I be seeing at WOT?

http://members.home.net/cartel5/duner/Duner47Dyno.JPG

The engine slows down dramatically once it gets hot. Any ideas?
Red curve was 1st run, green is 2nd, black is 3rd.

Just get rid of your convertor all together.

BTW, how are you running your truck to 6500rpms without floating the valves? I wouldn't dare take my R/T past 6000. Besides, I've heard from most R/Ts that there isn't much power past 4500-5000.

If you have one of those temp checkers that look like a gun that you can point a laser at what you want to read the temp of, then check the inlet temp of the cat and the outlet temp.. if it is working correctly than you should see higher temps at the outlet, if it is clogged, than it will be cooler at the outlet...

------------------
01 white lightning, JDM flip chip, Best ET so far, 13.23 @ 104mph.
2000 Civic Si, vortech, killer stereo, screaming little bitch.
2000 Suzuki RM125. slings mud every weekend.
85 toyota tercel
3 Beagles,My boyz, Pokey, Nitro, and Slinger JJ's Whitelightning

My new albums

It sounds to me like you're running out of fuel, leaning out, and overheating the cats. Let us know what you find with the fuel pressure check!

------------------
Later!
Jeff S.
Lightning #74 in '95 - 11.92@115.2-lotsa mods
Lightning #582 in '00 - 13.36@101.75- Swanson chip
1993 Probe GT - daily driver
1973 Datsun 240Z - project car
Drive 'em like ya stole 'em!
trux2.jpg

OK, I just checked the fuel pressure......it stays at a steady 50 lbs regardless of how hard I push it. So now I know it's not running out of fuel pressure.

That's about all I know at this point!

cool.gif
Duner Dood....how it be
biggrin.gif

lookin at whats goin on is startin to look like computer prob and thus causing these mechanical reactions????but yu didnt say anything about codes???? is eryting good on the scanner besides the lean at top?????could be overfueled(for what reason i dont know)i had that prob before in my virgin kennebell days and i got Butt F'd with a truck that dove at the line and would not rev or pull..plain overfueld...but i have an adjustable fuel system...maybe yur reg goin shitty..or is 50 psi normal for 4.7??? must be same pump we have with r/t's and reg daks...injectors spewin fuel so computer pullin it back?????pulse wise and shut down wise(limiter feelin)...because has to lean out to run near right???? yu may be on track duner...take it to the dealer??? check out injectors and read a plug...see what its tellin ya...yu know a plug can tell a story...surfinnnnnnnnnn

------------------
Da ultimatesurfa
surfin your turf!!!
1999 CC dakota r/t
13.74@97mph
da_surfas_beach.JPG

Hey Surfa,
Thanks for the insight. I'm fairly sure it's too much fuel, but can't quite figure out why the engine temp will soar unless the cat acts like it's backed up because of an inversion problem while it's burning all the raw fuel. There's no way I can take it to the dealer.....the first thing they would do is flash the computer with the stock program. .... NO THANKS!! I'm going to pull the cat and see if it improves anything. That bad-boy should be off there saturday morning. If it does improve or go away, I'll put a hi-flow cat back on. It could be that I'm simply trying to exceed the flow rating of the stock 4.7 cat. hehehe I have no idea why that fact didn't dawn on me until this very moment!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Duner:
Hey Surfa,
Thanks for the insight. I'm fairly sure it's too much fuel, but can't quite figure out why the engine temp will soar unless the cat acts like it's backed up because of an inversion problem while it's burning all the raw fuel. There's no way I can take it to the dealer.....the first thing they would do is flash the computer with the stock program. .... NO THANKS!! I'm going to pull the cat and see if it improves anything. That bad-boy should be off there saturday morning. If it does improve or go away, I'll put a hi-flow cat back on. It could be that I'm simply trying to exceed the flow rating of the stock 4.7 cat. hehehe I have no idea why that fact didn't dawn on me until this very moment!
</font>

Gotta be those homemade Kamikaze's!!

*SHUDDER*

Danno

------------------
98 DA CC R/T
12.99 @ 103.72
Sigpic.jpg

Where Y'at Duner,
Wait before you put a new cat back on. Too much fuel can cause the cat to clog up. That could be part of your problem but if you replace the cat w/o fixin whats wrong you would start clogging up the new one too. I agree that you should check the plugs first. If they're wet or carbon fowled, check injectors system.
Good luck.

------------------
Abby Normal
'92 F-150 302
49 Cubes short of a full load!

Back