cam swap

Hi guys, I have a 96 bronco that is now lowered and 2wd. I have been thinking of adding a little bigger cam, currently the truck has a 351w that is mostly stock, has an aftermarket air intake, equal length headers, full Bassani exhaust and is mass air with 4.11 gears. Just looking for ideas for a little larger cam to run, but maintain a stock stall converter. Thanks guys

Just changing the cam really isn't worth it. You would get a better return on your investment by keeping your stock cam and changing the torque converter.

If your heart is set on a cam, the 5.0 HO cam is pretty popular for the Lightnings, but you could go bigger with mass air.

My buddy went from a stock truck 351w with only headers and exhaust to a TFS stage 1 and GT40 heads with some porting and it went from 15.0s to low 14s and the 60ft picked up as well. The stage 1 cam is a nice cam for an auto.

My two cents.

if your unsure whether you may want to change the heads, compression ratio, etc in the future, I might live with it, forget about the cam, till a performance engine is wanted/built.

if you are convinced you just want a cam, and thats your last modification, then id suggest a custom cam from a reputable source. Cause yiur trying to gain as much from a stock engine with bolt ons as you can, the window of improvement is smaller, than say if you had added more compression, better heads, were the window of improvement is greater, even then, custom is ideal, but close enough will, still result in big gains.

know what I mean?

Back