broken spark plugs

Hammershop

this has probably been discussed elsewhere but what year(s) were affected with the broken spark plug issue,,Ive heard that it was 04 and up but some say all years,,the local ford dealer here wants $800 just to change the plugs on any year 5.4 whether they break any or not

The ‘04-‘08 4.6s and 5.4s.

There’s a TSB.

It’s my understanding ... and it was the case with a GM vehicle my wife drives ... if you tell the dealer you are aware of the TSB, the removal of broken plugs will be addressed as if it’s a warranty or recall issue, whether the warranty has expired or not.

The issue is improper removal technique.
Soak the base of the plug with PB or WD or my favorite aero kroil in other words a good penetrating oil. Leave it set overnight before attempting removal. And DONOT start it at all it must be COLD.

Go slowly and dont force it.

Apply anti seize to new plugs avoiding electrode.

OR
Pay dealer or shop to do it.

I Did B on my 08 with 178k.
Local shop did all 8 and accessory belt including parts it
was (steap for a plug chg) 575.00.

They had no issues with breakage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this has probably been discussed elsewhere but what year(s) were affected with the broken spark plug issue,,Ive heard that it was 04 and up but some say all years,,the local ford dealer here wants $800 just to change the plugs on any year 5.4 whether they break any or not

the three valves had the broken plug issue till Ford stopped using the two piece plugs, either way it’s not a new issue and TSB’s are out for a reason

plus if $800 is the going rate for plug changes I need to move my shop there and do nothing but plug changes

Back