Blue Dash lights!

Sweet. Just be aware that the "amber red" those gauges show may not match the true LED red all your other lights will be. Those gauges look like they will have a little orange tint to them. Keep us posted.

lightitup said:
That is sweet looking AlmightyWad:hail:
How many led's did you end up using for the entire interior?

8 - 8mm LEDs (headlight switch, cruise control lights, gauges, HVAC)
10 - 3mm LEDs (all the door panel switches)
1 - red LED dome light (not pictured in earlier post)
1 - Clarion headunit (can display 741 colors, I obviously chose true red)
1 - Maptech radio bezel unit (it came with the LED lamp unit)

(my nitrous arming switch and bottle heater switch is also red when engaged) :)

I've still got more plans for the interior but it will have to wait for now.

Grimace said:
It is just a light bulb with a green condom on it.

Grimace

I've taken my headlight switch apart and I took the green bulb condom off but I'm afraid to take that light out and solder a new LED in its place. With the window switches, I could see the other side of the circuit board and take it out properly, but with the headlight switch it looks like you have to cut the leads just underneath the bulb itself and solder the new LED into those existing leads...is that correct? Or is there a way to take that whole circuit board out of the housing so I can solder it properly?

GreasedL said:
Grimace

I've taken my headlight switch apart and I took the green bulb condom off but I'm afraid to take that light out and solder a new LED in its place. With the window switches, I could see the other side of the circuit board and take it out properly, but with the headlight switch it looks like you have to cut the leads just underneath the bulb itself and solder the new LED into those existing leads...is that correct? Or is there a way to take that whole circuit board out of the housing so I can solder it properly?
I was hoping I'd find a blue bulb condom somewhere myself. I don't want to screw up my headlight switch since my truck is a daily driver.

Well the thing is, that LED that is in there from the factory isn't very bright, and the rest of the lights in my interior I've replaced with blue LEDs that are pretty bright, so it won't match properly...I want that same match know what I mean?

I took my swtich apart, and you can take the board out of the housing by gently pulling on it. The dimmer knob will try to pop off, but it will only go on one way, and if you look at it, you will see what I mean when you get your pulled apart.
It was a bit of trial and error to get my led in and make it shine where it should, but what I ended up with was ghetto-fabulous ;)
headlight_switch.JPG

This is my mspaint rendering of what I did. I used the hard wires from the led, and bent them down so the led would shine directly into the black plastic light director (black plastic piece in the switch assembly). It was all trial and error, but I finally got it to work the way I wanted.

grimace...did you heat up the existing solder to remove the green led or did you just cut it off and solder the new led on top of that one?

The new bezel fits great but when i peeled the old bezel off it seperated the clear covering from the gauges! IM SOO PISSED! Speed Hut better send me new gauges.

hey grimace, good job with all the write ups- they help a ton.

i took it upon myself to order some LEDs from the place you ordered yours, modchipman, i believe, and i still havent recieved mine. i tried calling them but couldnt. so i put in one of those stupid forum help-tickets, and they responded but seem very unhelpful.

i just told them that its been 2 months now, and i still havent recieved word of if theyre being shipped out, ever, or if they are even ever getting a shipment in. but they have already charged me. so i asked to be refunded until they decide to ship them.

they said theyd refund me, but still havent. in like, 2 weeks. and have stopped resonding to my inquiries. its a shame.

/end rant

so did you use all 10 LEDs, or did you order more? whats the status on those?

I ended up eding the same amount as AlmightyWad. He and I did most of our modding at either my shop, or his house.

Sucks about modchipman. I bought 100 off of ebay from Japan for about 2 bucks plus 11 bucks shipping. Might try that, and they came with free resistors if you need them.

Grimace said:
I bought 100 off of ebay from Japan for about 2 bucks plus 11 bucks shipping. Might try that, and they came with free resistors if you need them.

Hey that sounds awesome. Since you bought in bulk, was it a dealer? If so, I'd be interested in the dealer as well. Who was the guy or whatd you type to find em, like size or brand or what not?

Got the new bezel today as well. I might get it in soon but I'm really gonna have to be in the mood to take all that apart again.

Yea i got mine in last week actually, and i just tried to put it in today...everything went good until i pulled the old bezel off, and same as proto, the double sided tape lifted the white face off the backing and completely screwed everything up...the gauges wont even light up now..i called aaron at speedhut and told him what happened and he is sending me new gauges

so for those of you that install the new bezel, completely take the cluster out and take the old bezel off with a razor blade to ensure that there is no pulling...good luck guys

Sunkist, I just typed in purple 3mm led and it came up with a company out of Japan that was selling them cheap with free resistors. I don't remember the name, but it was really cheap. I think it was a buck for the led's, and 11 bucks shipping. Not bad imho.

just got the new bezel in today. I think im going to try to put in the new gauges this weekend. But im not sure. Im still kinda scared.

I haven't installed mine yet, waiting on the new bezels. But I was thinking....I have the reverse el-glow and the needle problem. So what I was thinking of doing is getting some of that thin black plastic sheeting. They have it in craft and R/C stores. Cutting this to fit the contour of the stock cluster. Where the gauge needle posts are, cut out a circle (Olfa circle cutter) big enough to light the needle but still small enough that it wont show from under the needle. That way I can leave the stock cluster wired up. For the trans indicator will look into a piece of coloured plastic. Sould be able to get some low tack spray glue or something that wont be 100% permenent.

Back