Blown Motor Club

Funny you mention that Eric, cause I remember mikey telling me he saw an 11.9 A/F ratio. I thought we should never go leaner than 11.7, especially in this florida weather.

Sorry man!!

Believe me, I think every L owner with a stock engine has given thought about going to the expense in replacing the rods with a better product.

But then again, what would be the next part to fail and at what HP.

Good question, not sure on that one, always just knew the rods were the weakest link... not sure what would be next in line to fail.:headscratch:

Sal,

Do you usually tune a truck to an a/f of 11.8-12.0? In these Florida hot/humid summers I would think it would be a little close? <That's a question

I usually shoot for about 11.8 on 93 octane, with 16 degrees timing total at WOT. That's a good A/F for this time of year, because as summer rolls in and it gets hotter and muggier, the truck will richen up from the less dense air.

If it's a vehicle with heavily oxygenated gas or lower octane (like 91), then I drop that down to about 11.6 or so.

I usually shoot for about 11.8 on 93 octane, with 16 degrees timing total at WOT. That's a good A/F for this time of year, because as summer rolls in and it gets hotter and muggier, the truck will richen up from the less dense air.

If it's a vehicle with heavily oxygenated gas or lower octane (like 91), then I drop that down to about 11.6 or so.

Good to know......

I always thought we shouldn't go over 14* timing on a stock block thou unless we were throwing some higher octane at it.

I'm right on at 14*, I was tempted to bump it to 15* since I ran a 12.01 and wanted that 11 second slip, then I decided not too so my truck could live to race another day...

12.0 A/f and under is fine. It the timming and or lack of octane that killes these stock blocks. what was the conditions when it poped? And what does the timming cells look like in the tune? Is the timming locked or just flat lined when it get the commanded load, or was the timming gradualed ramped in?

11.3-11.5 A/F before I hurt the motor.

Wow, do you know what failed, what the cause was?

I'm right at 11.7 with 14* timing on 93 octane. Stays dead on all the time.(well timing does drop after iat2's get too hot, but hope to have that fixed soon.)

I'm right at 11.7 with 14* timing on 93 octane. Stays dead on all the time.(well timing does drop after iat2's get too hot, but hope to have that fixed soon.)

Crappy gas, and cold weather..will do your motor in.

cold weather has nothing to do with it as long as your tune is good.

I hear that a lot too.

But in all reality its not like the tune is tellin gthe ECM, oh the ambient temp is this, so reduce A/F or timing to this....

Isnt it in all actuallity, they tuner just tuned the truck for a colder climate, this way when it does hit that temp its still safe, but when your running your truck and its hotter outside, your really losing power due to being tuned for the colder weather? :headscratch:

Because the ECM works in closed loop mode when cruising, so that I could see the O2 sensors compesating for weather changes, but as soon as you go to WOT, your in open loop mode, which then means the O2 sensors arent doing really anything, your SOLF table is whats commanding your A/F ratio along with your MAF Transfer table.

The tune was on, it was just I went into OD and hurt the motor at 130.

But in all reality its not like the tune is tellin gthe ECM, oh the ambient temp is this, so reduce A/F or timing to this....

The timming does not need to get reduced in the cold and the A/Fs actually change very little. Most ppl blow in cold weather because they are one the ragged edge of the MAF voltage and that litte drop in temp. causes them to max it out. OR TOO MUCH Timing for the OCTANE. They get a bad winter gas and they are on the edge with timing and a little drop in octane kill it.

Looks like I'm going to join the Whipple Club. No sense in building an engine and then putting an Eaton back on it.Whipple is on order. Will be at least two months before I get my truck back though. It will be worth the wait.:cool:

Looks like I'm going to join the Whipple Club. No sense in building an engine and then putting an Eaton back on it.Whipple is on order. Will be at least two months before I get my truck back though. It will be worth the wait.:cool:

cool,it will be worth the wait..:eek:ldtu:

Back