Black Chrome ideas and thoughts.

I wasn't sure first off where to put this, but since the work is being done on a 1st gen. I thought this is a safe place.

I am looking to add/make some black chrome accents on from truck. The wheels, exhaust tip, handles and back of the door mirrors. Not a lot, just something different other then gloss black or variation of a black or other paint points.

From what I have found there are 3 options to get the desired effect. Black chrome tape, spray that goes over reg. chrome and then having it professionally done. If anyone can give me advice and personal experience on any or each of the options that would be great.

Also does anyone know of a good chromer around the Greater Cincinnati Area that will also do black chrome? Thanks before for the help/

I'm not from Cincinnati so I can recommend anyone but I can tell you:

1. My recommendation is to have your parts professionally chromed.

2. A black chrome piece won't last any longer or have any more durability than a bright chromed piece provide they both receive the same levels of care and protection from the elements.

3. The mirrors cannot be chromed. They're plastic ... that's a different process ... vacuum-metalizing is the process.

4. I'd also encourage you to consider having your windshield trim pieces done also as well as the tail gate handle and the exterior door lock bezels.

Opps yeah, I did mean professionally, should have stated more clearly, but yes someplace around the area professionally lol. I'm doing black chrome cause I like the look, something different and to go with the paint I have planned.

I plan on and in the process of getting super duty power mirrors with the chrome on the back already, so black chrome over that. I haven't thought of everything that will need to be chromed, all this work is being done with I am in okinawa :( but I can have my brother or my dad go over the truck and find all the plain chrome that should be black chromed. Thank you, I honestly would have forgot about some of those items, was only with the truck for 3 days before i had to go back from leave.

Thanks for the info and hope it keeps coming.

Back