Black '93 actual grey interior color question

blklightning1

I have a blk '93 Lightning with "grey" interior that looks like Opal Grey and not Dark Titanium (I purchased a can of the dark titanium from LMR). The lmr listed '93 color is way darker. I am the second owner and the truck has not had an interior update to "94-95 opal grey" A couple of pillar pods have been painted with the LMR dark titanium and its at least two shades too dark. A SEM Granite color is closer than Dark Ti.
The truck has 10% window tint, garage stored and when outside an inside windshield sun screen, less than 79K miles. Interior is not "faded", but definitely not dark titanium and looks like opal grey per inter web color charts. Before wasting another $34 dollars on the wrong shade again, has anyone come across this? I am also going to take the fuse cover to an auto paint store to see if I can match up a SEM color as well or a custom mix.

Their color matched perfectly with my 93 interior when I painted an A-pillar pod last year. Maybe for some odd reason the can was mislabeled or the color mix was off? I agree it is odd for the color to be that noticeably wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Their color matched perfectly with my 93 interior when I painted an A-pillar pod last year. Maybe for some odd reason the can was mislabeled or the color mix was off? I agree it is odd for the color to be that noticeably wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The actual LMR '93 color once sprayed out looks like Dark Ti which is a '93 only color, but my actual interior is not that dark for sure. I need to look at my build date again to see if somehow the truck was built using opal grey interior? Which I find very hard to believe! SEM sells an Opal Grey, but its a GM interior code/color per their color chart. I really don't want to respray every interior panel at this point. If I color change the interior panels, I would use 2/3 different greys on certain panels for some contrast, did a change of carpet over to black a couple yrs ago for a nice contrast, which I like. I might just have to bite the bullet and buy SEM opal grey or some more grey versions and do spray outs. To the op that stated LMR opal grey was too light, is why I am leaning towards SEM based on cost and local availability. My '02 F250 Lariat trim with "tan" interior has 3 different variants on certain panels, steering wheel. That was fun to chase down those colors to paint a gauge pillar and the steering wheel.

Funny thing, I pulled an old bin of spray paint out yesterday and was going through it. There was a can of the SEM Opal Gray in it, and I'd written "Must be Gen 2 color" on it in with a Sharpie.

Pretty sure the SEM paints are "close", but not exact. They seem to be original Mustang colors and places like LMR sell them as Lightning interior colors as well.

I tried SEM Opal, and it doesn't match '92-93 Granite or '94-97 Opal.

DashPads7a1.jpg

I buy CroMax dye that's mixed to a perfect match & PreVal sprayers. The dash I sprayed 10 years ago in my beater Bronco hasn't lost a scratch of color yet. This is what I got for my '97 F250HD dash.

20200702_152445.jpg

DashPaintef.jpg

Last edited:
Update for anyone this may help. I removed the fuse panel cover and in good bright light or daylight it is Dark Ti. Did a spray out with LRS '93 Dark Titanium on the inside of a kickpanel and it's a match to 93 color. So, I have to respray door panels, rear cab/speaker panels. Already did A pillars, two trim pcs that help secure head liner. So, I am redoing all panels, headliner and dash this winter season. The darker color looks good with black carpet. I have a set of grey NOS Ford Motorsport floor mats for sale. I am going with blk LRS lightning mats going forward. Thx for all comments/help. And I bought extra cans from LRS just in case for future touch ups.

Back