battery?

stockr

#$@%^&!!!
I needing a battery for a 64 f100 that only get moved once in a while..

I had a optima redtop with trickle charger but for some reason don't seem to want to hold charge anymore..

A. should I just shoot for regular battery from local parts store(that way I have in store warrantee)?
B. upgrade to yellow/blue top

for the most part you get what you pay for but then there are them times when your just paying for name..

I am just looking for options before I go and drop $125-$225

Buy a Motorcraft battery from the Ford dealer or O'Reilly's

This. I drive the L maybe 6-8 times per year, sometimes with months between, and the Motorcraft batteries have never failed to recover with a charge. Can't say that for the batteries in our other lesser driven vehicles and we've tried several brands in them.

I have used all the optima batteries and they suck for the cars that sit. After buying two red tops, I went to Motorcraft since and never had a problem. I don't see a reason to go anywhere else if it is working.

Optimas were the gold standard in the offroad community 20 yrs ago, but they're Kmart equivalents these days.

Probably in the minority here but I run the AutoZone duralast gold batteries. They are cost efficient and work well. Plus they have a 3 year warranty. Replaced one last year and all I did was walk in told them it was bad and they handed me a new one with no questions asked... Not bad.

Probably in the minority here but I run the AutoZone duralast gold batteries. They are cost efficient and work well. Plus they have a 3 year warranty. Replaced one last year and all I did was walk in told them it was bad and they handed me a new one with no questions asked... Not bad.

Same here. Bought one in 2014 I hit it with the charger now and then too from me running it down and no issues yet.

Ive also had decent luck with duralast.
Have one in my MACH1 it was installed in 14 I keep it on a maintainer as car sits and it has had 0 issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I needing a battery for a 64 f100 that only get moved once in a while..

I had a optima redtop with trickle charger but for some reason don't seem to want to hold charge anymore..

A. should I just shoot for regular battery from local parts store(that way I have in store warrantee)?
B. upgrade to yellow/blue top

for the most part you get what you pay for but then there are them times when your just paying for name..

I am just looking for options before I go and drop $125-$225

Got rid of my Optima Red, bought a Motorcraft from Ford for $129, $30 less than Oreillys

Got rid of my Optima Red, bought a Motorcraft from Ford for $129, $30 less than Oreillys

Damn..i should of waited another day..so I bout from oreillys but with fees and core charge sucker came out to almost $200.. i can try to return it and go thru summit but since im taking the oldie to a carshow out of town this weekend.. i pulled the trigger. According to summit it wont ship out this march 10th.. I doubt they will return take the return. I will just have to take the old battery back and get my $18 bucks back..
but for next time i will just order it..

Last edited:
What about a Die Hard? I love mine.

I use a Die Hard in my daily driver and put one in our old Wrangler when the factory one took a dump at two years old and they wouldn't warranty it. Never had any issues with them in our vehicles that are driven daily. We used one in my wife's old Camaro that basically gets driven around the block aggressively about 4 times a year just to let the HOA know that it does run and drive and never could get the Die Hard to keep a charge for more than about a month. After a year of that it was bad. For a driver, I say go for it. For a garage/driveway queen, I'm not a fan.

The thing to remember about AZ parts (or any chain store) is that it doesn't matter which name is on the label, it matters who made it and to what standards. There are only a handful of battery manufacturers out there making batteries under dozens of labels. You might get a great battery from AZ one time and a complete POS the next just depending on who they contracted with to make that batch.

Last edited:
I agree about not knowing exactly what your getting but with a 3 year no questions warranty it's worth looking at. The battery I replaced was completely my fault. Let it sit for months without starting it. They swapped it out without question. Not bad

Agreed. Their warranty is great for people like us that keep vehicles forever because it's built around statistics. They assume that very few people will have their vehicle long enough to use the warranty and they are usually right. I've got a lot of their parts on my truck and my criteria for using them is sometimes as simple as asking myself how long it takes to change the part. For example, the alternator more than likely isn't going to leave me stranded without warning and I can change it in their parking lot in 10 minutes.

The MotorCraft TestedTough (BXT-65-850) has 3 free + 5 prorata years, and you can sometimes catch a sale or coupon for $99 or $109. Follow the link to Ford sales in this caption:

Back