Bad start to the Engine install

Anybody follow that show Dexter.. I need his advise in the paint splatter pattern . This shirt was bright Orange now it had Dupli Color Black with Ceramic

Attachments

• splatter.jpg
    splatter.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 50
Mine popped while I was under the hood of the Bronco right next to it. One end cap caved in the corner of my home generator shattering the battery; the other end cap bounced off my 2-post gantry lift's Aluminum I-beam; the tank wall unraveled and wiped the gas meter off the side of the house which vented for over an hour before the utility company got it plugged, and then they took 3 weeks to reconnect me; the tank, compressor, & motor jumped so hard that the motor lost a capacitor and the rest embedded in the truck's fender; one of the tank's wheels flew over the house & landed by the mail box; and people from the other side of the neighborhood drove over to see what had happened. For some reason, though, it didn't even ring my ears - I was literally untouched.

If you're indoors with it when yours goes, I doubt you'll be so lucky.

Not trying to thread hijack, but since I work in marketing for a competing compressor manufacturer, I have to ask you, Steve.....what factored into you choosing a Quincy and where did you purchase it? Looks like a 5HP 80gal two-stage?

Since I started in this job earlier this yet, it's taken everything in me not to basically try to survey of all you guys on here for some "marketing research." I've resisted because I don't want to be "that guy"....but when I see a forum regular post a pic of a shiny new compressor that isn't one of mine, it is just too much to bear! :)

I don't mind, and I doubt it's much of an interruption to the thread since it's not technical anyway. But if huff prefers, I'm sure Skritch can split this discussion off.

I only shopped for compressors made in USA: compressor, (Baldor) motor, and tank. I compared prices, warranties, construction, performance, features, connections, mounting styles, efficiencies... I tried to be thorough. I talked to people locally, and some online, about experiences with each brand and their warranty performance. My impression was that I almost couldn't go wrong with any US compressor in this range (5hp 15-25SCFM 220V 60-80gal), so eventually, I was able to reduce it to price & availability. There were some good deals on eBay, but given the choice, I'll pay a little more to deal with a local retailer; especially on something that will likely require F2F support. But I found that compressor at the local Northern Tool on sale, and I had coupons for even-more off, and they know me so they gave me an even-better deal, and they threw in the warranty extension kit, and one of the 2 straps I was buying to haul it away.

After a lot of rummaging around, I found a thread where I listed the brands I was considering:
Quincy
Atlas Copco
Champion
Jenny
Rolair
JlAir
Snap-On
possibly Puma, IR, DeVilbiss...
I remember Puma was tossed because it's only ASSEMBLED in the US from oriental components - I think only the tank is made here. And IR is hit-or-miss.

My experience is similar to Steve's. I have heard really good things about Quincy and Champion. So right now my choice is between the best deal I can find for either brand at the CFM I am looking for.

Quincy is what I will get if I ever have a place for a nice compressor, but I have to admit that I have been very impressed with the cheapo Harbor Freight unit I bought for my hangar. I brought it home at Thanksgiving to do some work on the truck and it still had air in it from the last time it was used in July.

I have a harbor freight compressor and the motor doesn't like to cycle on when the air pressure gets low. It has to be almost empty for it to pump up. Pretty annoying.

I have a harbor freight compressor and the motor doesn't like to cycle on when the air pressure gets low. It has to be almost empty for it to pump up. Pretty annoying.

My craftsman does this. Sometimes easily remedied by changing the capacitor(s) with new. Some have run caps and start caps. The capacitor is what starts it and they can get weak. Some volt meters have a setting on them to check the UF/microfarads the rule of thumb is +\- 6% of its rated value printed on the cap.

Kaesers are some of the best compressors you can buy. I have a customer that operates them non stop. Extremely well built.

I have a DeVilbiss that I bought about 15 years ago (at Home Depot actually) and it's never missed a beat!

20cb806b9df0cb4e0679692fc247cf09.jpg

That one will pretty much do whatever you need it to do. I bought a 60 gal Belair 2 stage and did a lot of glass beading on the old truck I'm restoring. Keeps up just fine but I wouldn't of wanted to try it with a single stage compressor.

My craftsman does this. Sometimes easily remedied by changing the capacitor(s) with new. Some have run caps and start caps. The capacitor is what starts it and they can get weak. Some volt meters have a setting on them to check the UF/microfarads the rule of thumb is +\- 6% of its rated value printed on the cap.

My HF does this as well, but only if I try to run it on an extension cord. Plugged into the wall it does fine. If they don't get enough power they won't run right.

Clean the prongs, replace the female on the X-cord, and apply electrical grease to keep them clean.

It's a brand new heavy duty cord, it just isn't HD enough. The cord on the compressor is probably 5/8" in diameter. I'm sure the root cause is that the compressor is inefficient Chinese junk, but for $125 I can't complain and even with the power requirements it's still the best compressor I've ever seen or heard of for mild home use because it always has air in it even after being unplugged for months. You never have to wait for it to build pressure to air up a tire.

A friend was shaking a can of spray paint while in his basement. (not sure if he intended to spray inside the house) The can slipped out of his hand and hit a sharp hard object. This poked a hole in the can, which caused it to spin around the basement spraying paint. The spinning can flew past the lit water heater and the paint spray caught on fire. So now he had a spinning, fire breathing paint can chasing him around the basement.
Oh.... another lesson, don't use an air horn near a Tiki Torch.

Nice build. I'm glad no one lost an eye or finger. Situational Awareness comes to mind.

I always move paint, wax, polish, detail spray and adhesives to the wash room during the winter months. As Scott mentioned earlier, warm up the paint can in a warm tub of water or in your home, NEVER place a can under pressure near a heat source.

I purchased a 33 gal. Craftsman compressor in 2014. It has come in handy on a few occasions. I thought about a 26 gal. comp., but decided it was a little small for my wants/needs.

That one will pretty much do whatever you need it to do. I bought a 60 gal Belair 2 stage and did a lot of glass beading on the old truck I'm restoring. Keeps up just fine but I wouldn't of wanted to try it with a single stage compressor.

Go big or go home!

Back