August 2008 Gen 2 TOTM - Congratulations Jeff "MaxPower" Fritz ! (NLOC #2122)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skritch

August 2008 Gen 2 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Jeff (MaxPower) Fritz ! (NLOC #2122)

This months Gen 2 truck runs out of Missouri. A 2001 model originally all silver Jeff has personalized his truck with blue tribal flames changing the entire nose of the truck from silver to blue with the flames extending back. Trying to sneak up on anyone is difficult in a Lightning but Jeff has lost any chance of that with the stunning graphics on his ride. One interesting tidbit about Jeff is that he nearly sold his Lightning……not once, but TWICE ! Lucky for everyone concerned he didn’t as he has molded his truck into a one of a kind Lightning !

100_1331.JPG

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

I had just bought a new house, and been doing all the work on it myself. I had never owned a truck, and never thought I would. After getting tired of renting the Home Depot truck, or borrowing friends, I figured if I was going to get a truck, I might as well buy the fastest one I could find! I had known about the Gen I Lightning, and knew they came out with the Gen II in 1999. Just when I was ready to buy a truck, they updated the 2001 with more improvements and more HP! The decision was easy at that point!.

LFest4234.jpg

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner?

I actually was a “ricer” for a time from 1995 through 1999. I bought a 1995 Eclipse GS-T, which started my “mod bug.” It was stock for a year before I found out about all the forums online, and from there, it’s all history…I haven’t owned a vehicle since that did not get some sort of performance upgrade.

Jeff01.jpg

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

GO:
Built motor, balanced and blueprinted by McClain’s Automotive of Cuba, MO
Mod Max rods, ARP hardware
CP pistons, .020” oversize
Polished crank
Patriot Performance Stage II heads and cams, Reworked by McClain’s Automotive
ARP head studs
OBX long tube headers and mids
JDM Silver Bullet exhaust
Stiegemeier Stage III ported and polished Eaton
Stiegemeier port-matched and polished upper intake
Accufab oval throttle body, port-matched and polished
JLP 8# lower crank pulley
Goodyear Gatorback blower belt
REM fiberglass intake elbow
JLP ram air box (To Be Installed)
SCT BA2400 MAF
Sniper Delta Forces tuning
Snow Performance methanol injection, MAF progressive controlled
Troyer Performance dual Flex-A-Lite electric fan setup
Optima Red-Top battery
Jay Lincoln Truk-Traks slapper bars
Nitto 555R drag radials
Innovative Motorsports LC-1 wideband, Speedhut custom analog gauge
Autometer boost and water temperature gauges

SHOW:

Paint/Exterior:
Custom Sonic Blue flames on Silver paint by Troy’s Autobody of Warrenton, MO
Custom pinstriping by M.K. John of Montgomery City, MO
Smoothed and painted radiator shroud
Smoothed and painted side steps
Smoothed and painted rear steps
Smoothed and painted tailgate handle and lower molding
Smoothed and painted window surround and 3rd brake light
Street Scenes urethane roll pan
Street Scenes upper and lower grilles
Black painted calipers and rotors
Line-X sprayed in bed liner

Wheels:
18” Koenig NoRoad black/polished wheels

Engine Bay:
Polished Eaton, upper intake, Accufab throttle body
Custom aluminum flamed battery tray
Stinger LED battery terminals
BilletFlow idler pulleys
Powdercoated midplate
Powdercoated lower intake
Powdercoated thermostat housing and misc. brackets
Painted idler pulleys, timing chain cover, solenoid cover

Interior:
Smoothed and painted Sonic Blue and Silver interior door handles
Smoothed and painted window switch covers
Autometer 3 gauge pillar
Custom Plexiglas rocker switch panel
Alpine MP3 head unit
MB Quartz 6-1/2” separates
Rockford Fosgate Punch amplifiers
JL Audio 10w6 Woofer in custom sealed enclosure
Chikenears custom floormats
35% tint on side windows

1005742vx5.jpg

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning?

I have nearly sold my Lightning twice. The first time was during a rough period with my finances back in 2003. A change in jobs, and a supportive wife kept it that time. The second time was right after I blew the motor in April of 2007.

The blown motor was an interesting story in itself. It was the first Midnight Madness of the racing season that night. My wife and I were fighting over something (you can never remember the fights, just making up afterwards ). Right before I left for the evening, she exclaimed, “I hope you blow it up!” My first pass that night was supposed to be against my friend, yellowbolt, from the forum. He ended up overheating right before we were to stage. It should have been a sign to park mine as well. A disconnected vacuum line, and a leaky intake elbow caused a lean condition around the 1/8th mark, and it blew at about the 1000’ mark. I stayed in it! … Still ran a 12.4 coasting (75 Wet Shot courtesy of NX). For some reason I wasn’t too upset, since my wife got her wish. We’ve since made-up, and she’s happy I didn’t sell it.

1005562ft7.jpg

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

I have a beautiful and supportive wife, Karie, and 3 wonderful daughters – Taylor, 1; Danielle, 4; and my step-daughter Madison, 8. I enjoy working around the house on projects – rebuilt my deck, excavated my yard and built a retaining wall, along with other inside-projects.

girls8in.jpg

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC?

I have been a member since 2003, but had been lurking on the forums before that. I chose to be a paid member because I value the advice I have been able to take from the wealth of knowledge on the board – It was only fitting that I contribute to its future success.

img0279bj6.jpg

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

Bring back the old Classifieds! ;-) J/K, I know they’re as dead as the old F150online Lightning forum (oops! Did I just say that out loud?)

crw98881gi2.jpg

8. Why did you pick your board user name (screen name)?

Homer Simpson. He wanted to be named Max Power after meeting another gentleman with a strong name, Trent Steele. He came up with his name while blow drying his hair – he saw it on the warning label!

100_9758.jpg

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck?

Finish ironing out the tune for certain. It’s been a challenge, but my friend Andy (415cidGoose) has been a real help with getting it running right.

After that, if finances hold true, sell the polished Eaton setup, and pickup a Whipple.

1005743hz4.jpg

10. Whom would you like to thank for help\donations\support for putting the truck together?

Bob Stiegemeier for the years of tuning, porting and help getting the truck to a point it was running 12.4's off the bottle!
Mike (yellowbolt) for the GREAT deal on the motor!
Andy (415cidGoose) for all the help getting this truck running right!
Mark (St.Louis Lightning) for the pep-talks and ride to pick up Mike’s motor
JJ (doctorjj) for putting me in touch with McClain’s automotive and offering up tons of advice!
And of course, my wife Karie, for putting up with me and this extra-marital affair I call my Lightning.

1001358fr2.jpg

burn.jpg

Congratulations to Jeff Fritz and his 2001 silver Ford Lightning for Gen 2 Truck of the Month, August 2008 !

Congrats Jeff, been a long rocky road for your project, glad it's coming together. I remember the burnout you did at L Fest 4 in the parking lot of the hotel:scared1:

Thanks guys - No burnouts this year in the lot! Those Nittos are too $$$ ;)

I've registered for LFest to come and watch - maybe a TnT pass or 2. Hope to see everyone there again and meet some new people! I'll be road testing the truck all the way out :cool:

Congratulations on being August TOTM. I bet you are glad that you got that beast finished, or should I say almost finished, Whipple.
Good Luck. Bob

congrats man, ive always like your truck, everything painted underhood looks really good! ive got a funny story like that too. my ole lady and me were fightning right before i went to a bracket race in my drag car, 3rd pass off the trailer i blew it up:mad:

(not trying to hijack just brought back memories)

Max Power.:gl:that's Priceless.
I love the truck!!! Congrats
Luckily I also Have a beautiful Supportive wife who dosn't want me to sell The L (named Carrie though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back